We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quickest way to get from San Jose to Punta Uva

Texas
Level Contributor
90 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Quickest way to get from San Jose to Punta Uva

Just started planning my trip to Punta Uva next year and looking to the experts for help on getting there ASAP. I would love to avoid an extra night in San Jose or Limon if possible. Should I fly into Limon and rent a car? Fly into Limon and take a taxi to P.Viejo then rent a car? Drive direct from San Jose? I will be arriving in San Jose mid-day...taking the "quickest route/method" when should I be arriving in Punta Uva? FYI...I need a 4x4 to get to where I need to go so please take that into consideration. Thanks in advance for the help.

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Quickest way to get from San Jose to Punta Uva

Time of year? Time of week? Time of day? Sansa doesn't fly to Limon and Nature Air only flies to Limon during the High Season. And even then it doesn't have any flights on Tuesdays or Thursdays. What exactly is "mid-day"? High noon, "noonish" or as late as 1-1:30? Nature Air's last (and in fact only) flight is at 1PM (arriving in Limon 30 minutes later). If you arrive close to or after 1PM, you'd never make it. If you arrive sometime after noon it would still be pretty hard if not impossible to clear immigration and customs and transfer over to the airport in Pavas to make your flight. It might be possible to do it if you actually arrived before noon but what would you really be saving?

By the time you get done waiting for the Nature Air plane to take-off (depending on how early you make it to the Pavas airport, dealing with the Nature Air people at either end, driving into and out of the various airports from the main roads that you'd be using if you drove straight through and the 30 minute flight itself you'd only be saving at most 2 hours of transit time. Since you'd be renting a car somewhere along the way anyway, it would cost you an extra $83 for the airfare (less the cost of the gasoline to drive from SJ to Limon) plus the added anxiety of getting in on time to make it to Pavas and catch your next scheduled flight. If you rent in SJ, you could just grab your rental car whenever you get in and even if you arrived some time after 1PM you could still make it to PV by dark or shortly thereafter. However, its a good 4-4.5 hrs to PV so whether you plan to fly part way or drive all the way if you arrive much after 1:30 or so, you won't make it there before dark and unless that doesn't bother you, you'll want to layover in SJ.

Taking a taxi from Limon would seem like the worst option to me. IF you flew into Limon, you'd arrive at 1:30 which leaves plenty of time to arrive before dark. And since you're going to be renting a car any way that would mean you'd again be paying a lot more than if you drove yourself (taxi fare vs. the cost of gas for your rental car) all to not get you to Punta Uva much if any earlier.

Lastly, I've never dealt with rental car agencies in Limon or PV (do they even have one there?), but I'd have to assume your options for cars and agencies would have to be much greater around SJO.

2. Re: Quickest way to get from San Jose to Punta Uva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2009, 06:16