We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why does everyone go to Arenal first???

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
96 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Why does everyone go to Arenal first???

Is there a reason most people go to Arenal first other than the proximity to San Jose?

We were planning on doing just that and then to MA. The place we want to stay in MA isn't available during the second part of our trip, but is available at the beginning of our trip.

We arrive at 1:00pm and would plan on driving directly to our first destination that day.

Any reason why this wouldn't be a good idea?

Thanks in advance!

San Isidro de El...
Level Contributor
938 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why does everyone go to Arenal first???

No problem. The driving time isn't all that different but it is a tad longer going to the coast. There is always the chance of getting behind a truck which can slow you down. If you can get on the road by 2-2:30 you should be okay. You might arrive at dark so if that is an issue you might rethink things. Maybe even stop at Villa Lapas for the night on the way or one of the Jaco places.

Sunny California
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why does everyone go to Arenal first???

It shouldn't matter... We went to arenal first because we wanted to do a circle around... Arenal to Monteverde to Manuel Antonio... I guess the real reason was to end with the beach destination last... But honestly you won't miss the beach at all while in Arenal... there's so much to do there.

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why does everyone go to Arenal first???

Last time I went it was more for a matter of convenience and sights. Wanted to see the volcano and explore around the area because there was so much to do. Not saying the other areas in the general vacinity didnt have as much but it seemed, to me, there was more options in Arenal.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why does everyone go to Arenal first???

We are doing Arenal first, only because of advice I was given by a friend. However, we will fly into Liberia, then go to Arenal, MA and fly out of San Jose.

5. Re: Why does everyone go to Arenal first???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2009, 07:35