We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

costa rice in Feb - hotels sold out?

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
costa rice in Feb - hotels sold out?

I was looking into booking a vacation in February. It will be my first time in Costa Rica. My husband and I will be going for 8 nights. We wanted to go to Arenal and Manuel Antonio, based on what I've seen on this forum. According to Expedia, a lot of the hotels are already sold out! Does anybody know if I would have better luck by directly contacting the hotels. I'm looking into this 9 months in advance, I didn't think that it would be sold out already. Any advice?

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: costa rice in Feb - hotels sold out?

Expedia sells you only what they block out. Chances are they are not sold out. Which hotels are you most interested in. However, I will say this, expedia gets better prices because of their volume. However, you can still get great deals with different agents.

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: costa rice in Feb - hotels sold out?

I would take the easiest route and contact the hotels directly.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,612 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: costa rice in Feb - hotels sold out?

You definitely should try contacting the hotels directly.

Most have websites and email contacts. Sometimes it is faster to pick up the phone and call them.

The case with expedia is probqably that the hotles haven't even given them rooms many or any to sell yet.

Pura vida

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: costa rice in Feb - hotels sold out?

I don't know what Expedia is doing, but the hotels in Tamarindo, Flamingo Beach, Playa Negra are not sold out.

Tamarindo Tourism

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: costa rice in Feb - hotels sold out?

You're ALWAYS better off contacting the hotels directly--better rooms, better prices.

Expedia et al are TERRIBLE resources for booking lodging. Buy a guidebook (Fodors, Lonely Planet, Frommers, Moon, whatever) and pick a hotel based on what you read there.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: costa rice in Feb - hotels sold out?

lots of options at discounts for your journey

get your best price then contact your hotel

directly to see if they will beat it...

www.gotmyfare.com cheap CR packages

usually better than DIY unless you are

set on cerrtain hotels...

Level Contributor
3,094 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: costa rice in Feb - hotels sold out?

try rincon de la vieja area and hotels in the guanacaste beach area, i am sure that february has plenty of space, even in feb.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: costa rice in Feb - hotels sold out?

Hotels in Manuel Antonio are far from been sold out, if you can contact the hotel directly you also get a better rate, you can negociated a 10% disscount. What kind of hotel would you be looking for. NATUREGUIDE

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: costa rice in Feb - hotels sold out?

Thank you all so much for the advice. I will try to contact the hotels directly. I was looking at the Blue Banyon Inn in Manuel Antonio am still looking into the option for La Fortuna. I would appreciate any suggestion for the two areas. I'd like to stick to a budget of around $150 - $170 a night. I'm not looking for an Americanized hotel. Trying to find a place that's comfortable, but can experience Costa Rican culture.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
186 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: costa rice in Feb - hotels sold out?

Hi, Can't be all booked! Arenal has hundreds of hotels in all categories. Look on the web and contact them directly..same thing with Manuel Antonio. I invite you to read my C Rica travel blog on the web at cosaricalearn I talk about the activities around Arenal and best routes to get there. All is categorized for easy read plus there is a search box. I have a great article on Manuel Antonio, just go to the search box. Have a great trip. Regards, costaricalearn

Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now