We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tortuguero and Osa in one trip

Portland, OR
1 post
Save Topic
Tortuguero and Osa in one trip

I'm taking a trip to Costa Rica from August 1st through August 9th. I'm flying into San Jose. I want to spend a couple of nights in Tortuguero and Osa. Does anybody have any recommendations on my travel planning. I was thinking of taking the raft trip from San Jose into Tortuguero. Stay there for several nights, then catch a flight to Puerto Jimenez. And from there fly back into San Jose. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I don't neccesarily care for flying, and I know the roads around Osa this time of year are supposed to be bad, so any time spent on a boat is welcome to me. Thank you.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tortuguero and Osa in one trip

Your schedule will be tight but first go to

www.grupomawamba.com/mawambalodge Tortuguero

then back to SJ for a day or 2

www.natureair.com to PJ

www.bosquedelcabo.com nice choice there

Have fun,

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tortuguero and Osa in one trip

You will be here with us for 8 nights...it is good amount of time...maybe 2 nights at Tortuguero is good enough...

Fly back to San Jose..trying to make a connection with a fly to Puerto Jimenez...I recommend Carate Beach by one of the Corcovado National Park entrances...is a little lodge..ISEAME...you can mail the owner...maurpi@hotmail.com...they can pick you up in Puerto Jimenez! Good costarican prices...very good!

Some incredible expensive...even ridiculous expensive places around Osa...nice but not worth what they ask for...

In Carate you will see a lot of wild life...more than anywhere around...since the Corcovado National Park is next door! Of course the park is the place!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tortuguero and Osa in one trip

Hi,

I recommend you take a tour to Tortuguero from San Jose, return and go directly to the airport for the Osa Peninsula. If you don't fly, there is no other way to go about this. the two destinations are on opposite sides of the country.

hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

http://travelexperta.com

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
186 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tortuguero and Osa in one trip

Hi, for the amount of days you have which looks like 7 days of activity and 2 days of travel in and out of C Rica. And --Since Tortuguero and Osa are a very long distance apart. I recommend you purchase a tour from SJO to Tortuguero. I went with Group Mawamba and they are excellent( go for 2 nights) You can buy their package that gos- bus in and bus out, nice scenery. Also you could fly back if you choose to get back to SJO quicker. THEN You need to fly into Puerto Jimenez early a.m. because of the cloudy weather in August. You could fly out early on the 5th. Check Nature Air and Sansa Air for domestic flight schedules. That would give you a nice number of days in the Osa. Other option is to purchase a package with one of the jungle lodges (all are on the web) they set it all up..fly in-fly out. Lodges, food, etc. This is easiest and best for the time you have..However they are pricy.

Please read my Costa Rica Travel Blog on the web costaricalearn.com Under category National parks and wildlife refuges. Very helpful information if you are visiting Tortuguero..plus lots of invaluable travel tips for C Rica travelers. Have a great trip, costaricalearn

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tortuguero and Osa in one trip

Just returned from the Osa and had a friend who was continuing on to Tortuguero. Keep in mind most pick-ups are very early am, hers was at 5:15am, so that may affect your schedule. I would do Tortuguero first then the Osa. Look into Bosque del Cabo, the amount of wildlife there is so much you don't even need to go all the way into Corcovado! I saw a tamadua ambling along the driveway, all 4 types of monkeys, several frogs and snakes, of course agoutis, toucans, macaws, birds, peccaries and coatis everywhere plus there were several puma spottings the week we were there. The 2 nights package that lodges offer to Tortugero will probably be your best bet, then connect in San Jose on Sansa or Nature Air onward to Puerto Jimenez. Have a great trip, you picked 2 wonderful areas to visit.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tortuguero and Osa in one trip

You can definitely do those 2 areas in the time you have planned. Honestly, flying is going to be your best bet if you want to go to Osa and Tortuguero in the amount of time you have.

If you want to raft (highly recommend) try the day trip on the Pacuare through Rios Tropicales. You'll have to stay 1st and 2nd nights in San Jose to do this. Don Carlos is a good choice in San Jose.

The following morning you can have your pick up to Tortuguero for 2 nights. I enjoyed Turtle Beach Lodge, as they are in a prime spot between beach and canals, and offer kayaks you can use right from the lodge. Instead of using the boat option to depart, fly on either Sansa or Nature Air from Tortuguero to Puerto Jimenez (Osa) via San Jose.

Spend at least 3 nights in Puerto Jimenez. Highly recommend Bosque del Cabo. There are some other less expensive options, but here is one place you really do get what you pay for. Not many other places offer the freedom of the extensive trail system that is well kept and you can hike out on your own. The wildlife (as above poster says) is varied and abundant. The staff and owners are wonderful, the cabinas perfectly situated on the bluff with amazing views and outdoor showers. The FOOD is amazing and many choices. Other tours and things you can enjoy on-site as well.

A good place to chill last night is Orquideas Inn. It's a smallish, colorful place with a good restaurant and kitchy Marilyn Monroe bar, with nice large swimming pool and jacuzzi.

7. Re: Tortuguero and Osa in one trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2010, 05:17