We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vacation clothing

Level Contributor
39 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
vacation clothing

its my understanding that a person wearing shorts in costa rica doing business, banks, doctor visits, things like this is not permitted. what about a visitor on vacation walking around san jose? is it ok to wear shorts in the beach towns, jaco or quepos? thanks, paul.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vacation clothing

I've never heard shorts aren't permitted! You may want a pair of pants for the Central Valley as the temps dip a little at night or to wear on the plane but a good majority or travelers to Costa Rica wear shorts.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vacation clothing

Most Costa Ricans in San Jose do not wear shorts - except for some young men or teenagers. You can wear shorts if you choose to but like the other poster said, it gets cool at night. Of course, people at beach towns wear shorts -- sometimes the uniform of the day is shorts and flip flops and nothing else.

If you are doing any kind of business, I would not wear shorts in San Jose. It is slightly conservative there and it would be respectful to do as they do.

3. Re: vacation clothing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2010, 07:18