We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother and two kids...which beach after dental work?

florida
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Topic
Mother and two kids...which beach after dental work?

Hi,

I am considering going to Costa Rica for dental work in the next couple of months. My dentist wants $3000 to finish up on a root canal that was already $1000. I have two friends who have recently done this and were happy with the work. I have always wanted to go to Costa Rica, so instead of giving my hard earned money to my dentist why not get the work done and take my two kids (10 & 13) on a great trip??

My questions are this, Looks like the dental work would be done in San Jose. I will get a temporary crown and then would like to head to the beach with my kids for some exploring and surfing before coming back for the final dental work and then back home.

Before when dreaming of taking my kids I had always looked into the Nosara and Samara areas. Would this area still be a good one being that now I will have to get back and forth to San Jose? Also would it be possible to not to have to rent a car? Are there vans or nice buses that can be hired to drive to a nice beach destination and then later back?

I want a nice safe quite beach area where I would not have to worry about safety and we could surf, maybe ride horses or take a zip line tour. Hoping to have around 5 days at beach and only 3 in San Jose.

Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mother and two kids...which beach after dental work?

Tamarindo is a very popular place downtime for dental patients. It sounds just right for you as we have beautiful beaches, surfing shops for lessons, restaurants and lots for you to do. Here is a link to some of the activities so you'll have some choices:

www.tamarindocosta-rica.com/activities.html

To get to Tamarindo, you have a full-range of options: car rental, shuttle bus, or just the regular bus. I'm sure others will join in the discussion with expert travel information.

You didn't mention if you had selected a dentists, so here is the one I've use. And, here is a blog about my experiences with a San Jose dentist. The date of the blog was July 24th, 2009. Read it and you'll fully understand why I like getting dental work done here (with the right dentists).

http://www.prismadental.com/blog/

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mother and two kids...which beach after dental work?

I forgot to mention a great way to get to Tamarindo is to fly:

http://www.flysansa.com/

http://www.natureair.com/

Just a 45 minute flight. They fly right into the little airport just 5 minutes outside of Tamarindo.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mother and two kids...which beach after dental work?

Since you are going to be with a Dr...in San Jose...the best choice will be Manuel Antonio national PArk...incredible place for the kids...a lot of wild life...and a lot of hotel options!

Of course public buses or public shuttles to Manuel Antonio...around $30.00 per person...each way!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

florida
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mother and two kids...which beach after dental work?

Thanks for the responses!

I have not decided on a dentist at this time. I am doing research and also talking to a couple of friends who have done this. They used dentists in San Jose...so I figured this is probably where most are. Getting the best dentist is top of the list.

florida
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mother and two kids...which beach after dental work?

Also meant to add that we are looking at the week of Thanksgiving to be there.

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mother and two kids...which beach after dental work?

Hi,

I would recommend somewhere closer to San Jose. Samamra and Nosara are great, but far about 5-6 hours. I've stayed many times in Playa Hermosa which is 2 hours from San Jose and 10 mins from Jaco, although a totally different beach. It's a lovely, calm beach with all the reasonably priced hotels right on the beach. You can sway in a hammock while your kids surf or just hang out on the beach.

Plus, being so close to Jaco you get all of the great tours that are offered in the area.

Canopy

ATV

Boat Tours

Jet Skiing

Horseback riding

basically whatever you need.

You can either take a private driver here, a shuttle or even bus, it's close enough to San Jose and just great!

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

7. Re: Mother and two kids...which beach after dental work?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2010, 05:18