We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Driver

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
418 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
Our Driver

Okay, this is long overdue. We went to Costa Rica at the very end of June and first part of July. We were in Costa Rica for 15 days. Our party consisted of my parents who are 66 and 64, my dh and myself both 41, my ds 15, and dd 10 and 5. My family is from the San Francisco area and my parents from Texas. We chose to have a private driver. We contacted many polite drivers, and decided upon Oscar Chavarria Mora at cuco2228@hotmail.com . He was there waiting for us when we arrived at Liberia. We’re a pretty quiet and reserved group so it’s probably hard to get to know us. We talked and asked questions as we drove to Arenal. The conversation came pretty easily. Oscar was able to suggestion things like good bathroom stops, dining, souvenirs, shopping, laundry drop off, etc. He drove us wherever we wanted to go all day long and to dinner. In Arenal, he also took us to see the volcano at night! Then he drove us to Monteverde. He always made sure we were at places at the best time. He drove my husband and son to a night walk. Next up was Malpais where we had to catch the ferry both ways. Oscar really took great care of us in this. He was especially helpful with my dad who has arthritis. He drove onto the boat with my dad so he didn’t have the walk. While here he took us to fishing and horseback riding appointments. He helped us find ATVs in good shape. He even rode them for awhile with my husband and son. He followed my parents when they were first starting to make sure they knew how to work them. He pulled us over if we needed help and got us going. Then we went to Manuel Antonio. He did Juan Brenes’ caiman tour with us. And lastly we ended up near Tamarindo, but here it was quite a drive for Oscar. He helped us find a place to get our daughters’ hair braided, etc. Could we have rented a van ourselves and drove? Maybe in some of the areas, but we probably would’ve gotten lost a lot. Having someone explain how things worked was very helpful. We also felt safe driving at any time of day. Does it seem expensive? Well, having a driver every day was a little more expensive than being taken between destinations, but we had someone available to help us and find things at any time of day. It was a comfort and relief. We ended up sharing some of our meals with Oscar. He became a friend. We found out so much about the people and culture of Costa Rica. He was good with my children. He was always helpful and careful with my parents. My Costa Rica experience would not have been the same without Oscar. We shared so much with him. We learned about him as he learned about us. We now feel we have a great friend in Costa Rica. For anyone visiting Costa Rica thinking about having a driver, I recommend Oscar. He’s a great man and careful driver. He’s good with people of all ages. He goes out of his way to help you. If you choose Oscar as your driver, you will make a friend. And, yes, Oscar kept the car cool enough for us whimpy northern Californians.

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Driver

I loved reading through your post! Thanks so much for sharing...

Undoubtely, the mere fact of having a knowledgeable guide / driver with you during your visit in Costa Rica, can turn a vacation into the trip of a lifetime.

Gladly Costa Rica has many professional driver / guides, like Oscar, who go beyond their call of duty to provide outstanding Costa Rica Experiences to our visitors.

Well done Oscar and thank you for sharing your experience while riding with him. Will make sure to pass along this recommendation. Just out of curiosity, how did you first become aware of Oscar's services? Was it by recommendation or how did you find him?

Pura vida!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
418 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Driver

I saw his name on Trip Advisor on a post by Juan Brenes listing several driver recommendations. I think it was a bit ago, but we got it by searching driver or something. Juan was also great. I'll have to get to him on another day. My dad really has a hard time getting around and Juan and Oscar were wonderful with him!

new york
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our Driver

I am wondering about hiring a driver. Any idea how much your driver would be for three days?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
418 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our Driver

I'm sure if you emailed him, he'd tell you. I'm sure it depends upon where and when. He was great!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our Driver

Getrude...drivers in Costa Rica...you can hire them from point A to Point B...that is the cheapest way...or for the day or by hours...

Rates according to vehicle model...no more than 2 years...good insurance at least $50,000.00 per person or more...years of experience...etc.

roadadvisor

6. Re: Our Driver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2010, 08:17