We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food options/prices near Sarapiqui area

midwest
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Food options/prices near Sarapiqui area

Hi,

we're still working on where to stay while in the Sarapiqui area.

Right now we're looking at:

La Selva, Selva Verde, Tirimbina, Heliconia Island, La Quinta, Neotropical and Andrea Christina.

If we stay at a place that does not serve food, what are the options for eating in the area?

Are restaurants/sodas spread all over the area or located centrally in a town area? If spread all over, is it a far drive to get to some of the places? Good roads?

Do the local eateries serve good food? What are the prices for a simple dinner in the evening?

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Food options/prices near Sarapiqui area

There are sodas in Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui which we've eaten at a couple of times. Food was typical Costa Rican but good. Can't recall exact prices, but cheap.

You will likely want to spend a day at La Selva even if you don't stay there. Lunch can be pre-arranged and is fun, since you are sharing a dining room with researchers. The "yard birding" there is also excellent, so you are likely to see some neat things out the windows or as soon as lunch is finished.

Food at Selva Verde used to be pretty bad but in recent years has improved a lot. Another place where you can see neat birds and creatures from the deck. Our last visit we had a family of Neotropic Otters playing in the river, a Sunbittern and a beautiful immature Fasciated Tiger Heron all visible from the deck during lunch.

The restaurant at La Qunita has been consistently good when we have visited over the years. They have bird feeders outside the restaurant where you can see various tanagers, oropendulas etc.

The roads near all of the places mentioned are fine.

I can't comment on the other locations.

cheers

Jerry

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,277 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food options/prices near Sarapiqui area

La Casona was a pretty good lunch place for us--it's part of the Ara Ambigua hotel. Very good birdwatching there--especially tanagers.

Breakfast at Selva Verde is definitely their best meal.

Tucson,Az
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Food options/prices near Sarapiqui area

We are going in 2 weeks and plan to stay at Posada Andrea Cristina. I love the idea of staying with a local family and trying homecooked meals. Great prices also.

We plan to do a night tour with them and posible a day tour if they have a area similar to Le Selva that they can show us. They have answered several emails very fast. I just sent them a ton of new questions.

When are you going? We go Sept 19-30 so I may have some answers in Oct.

~Debbie

midwest
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food options/prices near Sarapiqui area

Thanks for the info Jerry. I do have a question--did you mean the food used to be bad at Selva Verde or at La Selva?

I have previously read that the food at LA SELVA was bland and just OK.

At this point I think we would like to spend several days at La Selva snooping around and maybe do some guided and unguided tours at some of the other places too.

We're just trying to weigh our lodging options and decide what the best bang for our buck is as well as the right location for us to stay is.

Thus, why I'm asking about food options. It may end up being just as cheap to stay and eat at La Selva if the food options around the area are not good and/or expensive.

Racandee, I'm not familiar with the Ara Ambigua hotel. I'll google it. What do you know about it?

debbb1, we're not going to CR until June. I'm quite an early planner :) I like to have my ducks in a row when traveling if possible :)

I would be anxious to hear what you think of the Andrea Christina.

Alex (Andrea Christina) has been the only one to reply back of all the lodging places in Sarapiqui that I've emailed! I wonder though about the location. I like the price but, wonder if we will spend just as much eating off property, driving, etc. as we would if we just spent the extra money and stayed at La Selva.

Lots of things to think about for budget travelers :)

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Food options/prices near Sarapiqui area

The food at Selva Verde used to be bad.....but is better now .....the food at La Selva is institutional food....edible but not memorable - but , if you are nature lovers you won't care! Selva Verde is a gem of a place.

midwest
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food options/prices near Sarapiqui area

Jerry,

thanks for your replies :)

In your opinion, would it be a better overall bargin in terms of location and decent food to stay at:

Selva Verde

for $110/night (inc. room, fan, breakfast, 2--1 hour bird walks/DAY, & tax) eating lunch and dinner cheaply off site

$130 for AC bungalow and the above amenities

OR

La Selva

for $166/night (inc. room, fan, 3 meals/day, 1--1/2 day tour/STAY, & tax)

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,277 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food options/prices near Sarapiqui area

Ara Ambigua/La Casona are between La Selva and Selva Verde. As you're driving west from La Selva, you'll take a right hand turn and head north down a rough road for about 1/2 km. There is a big sign.

In choosing lodging, it would probably depend how much time you would plan to spend on the grounds vs doing other area attractions.

A couple of possibilities--email the OTS folks and ask if you can get a room only rare. Or, spend one night there, go on the free morning hike, then spend the next two nights somewhere else.

Not sure if this matters to you, but the rooms at Selva Verde are huge and beautiful with all hardwood flooring and nice furniture. Plus rocking chairs and a comfy hammock on the veranda outside the room.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,277 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food options/prices near Sarapiqui area

I forgot to add: the A/C bungalows are on the other side of the road from the main lodge--about a 10-15 minute hike each way. More isolated and wilderness like, but they didn't seem like they'd be as nice as the standard jungle lodge rooms. Then again, that's where I saw a tayra.

9. Re: Food options/prices near Sarapiqui area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2010, 07:18