We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TORTUGERO IN DECEMBER..question from a biology nut.

L.A.
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
TORTUGERO IN DECEMBER..question from a biology nut.

(I even taught Biolog but Costa Rica is rich in fauna and have never been there.)

MY 5 QUESTIONS...PLEASE HELP:

Going to Tortuguero as part of a tour on Caravan. Tour is set already for December, this year. I noticed on climate stats, that this is the heaviest rainfall month for the year.

1) I am concerned that I might not see all the animal life that I could withy the heavy rain..please comment.

2) what I'd have to wear also, such as ponchos, special shoes for mud, etc. Mosquito repellant ?

3) Also, is the rain usually only for part of the day or even better mostly at night ? ( hopefully, as I sleep )

4) Research shows so far that I'd probably see amphibians, like their famous frogs, and maybe snakes and crocs. But what about tapirs, monkeys and other mammals and especially birds ?

5) Also, do you know if river canoes go out at this season ?

Pacific Trade Winds
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Manuel's Tours
Eco Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,433 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TORTUGERO IN DECEMBER..question from a biology nut.

We saw spider, howler, and capuchin monkeys, a sloth, blue morphos, crocs, caimans, toucans, parrots, roseate spoonbills, otters, a small boa, and strawberry dart frogs. We were there during green turtle season, so got to see those as well. I'd definitely bring a rain poncho and mosquito repellent. This area gets a lot of rain. Our lodge supplied rubber galoshes, and we definitely needed them for the muddy trails. When we were there, it rained during the night and a good part of the morning, a very heavy downpour, but I haven't been there in December. We brought books just in case!

L.A.
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: TORTUGERO IN DECEMBER..question from a biology nut.

Volcano girl: thanx for your reply.

5) Also, do you know if river canoes go out at this season ?

CT
Level Contributor
84 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TORTUGERO IN DECEMBER..question from a biology nut.

We didn't need bug spray on the canal tours on the boats. We REALLY needed bug spray in the forest or on the beach at night. Got eaten alive through our clothes when watching turtles nest. We used gortex pac lite rain parkas and took themin the pouch everywhere and wor ethem often. They were great! You will love it there.. rain or not it's beautiful!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,433 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TORTUGERO IN DECEMBER..question from a biology nut.

kamera, I'm not sure what you mean by river canoes. The lodges usually have boats that will take you touring through the canals - is that what you mean? Some of the lodges have canoes and kayaks that you can take out on your own as well.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TORTUGERO IN DECEMBER..question from a biology nut.

Expect lots of rain in December, but the show must go on. bring rain gear. Tortuguero is a very special place, you'll enjoy it.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TORTUGERO IN DECEMBER..question from a biology nut.

kamerakid -- Can't speak for other places, but Turtle Beach Lodge was in a fantastic spot (more isolated than some others, right on the beach and backed by canals) and they do have canoes and kayaks you can take out on your own right from the lodge into the canals.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,936 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TORTUGERO IN DECEMBER..question from a biology nut.

If weather is irregular in some areas in Costa Rica...the worst is Tortuguero...so hard to predict...trust me...I have been dealing with Tortuguero for well 35 years...

1- Sunshine or wet you will see very much the same wild life...for some animals as you know...they like sunny days...and some others the rainy foggy days...

2- Most lodge supply ponchos and rubber boots! Of course bring some reppellent!

3- Again...so hard to answer...who knows?

4- Tapirs were around many years ago...but not easy to spot them now days...monkeys they still around in big numbre...of course a lot of birds!

5- Some places rent kayaks...the problem there is that to paddle is a kind of boring...you can paddle for hours and is the same thing...I try a couple times with my Sea Tiger Aire Kayak...honestly was not nice...but you are a biology nut...that may be the big difference!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

8. Re: TORTUGERO IN DECEMBER..question from a biology nut.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2010, 05:19