We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best beach area in costa rica

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
best beach area in costa rica

What part of cr has the nicest beaches as far as swimming and possibly snorkeling? Thanks in advance

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,438 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best beach area in costa rica

Around Puerto Viejo...Cahuita...Punta Uva...Manzanillo...Punta Uva..at the Caribbean side!.

At the Pacific...around Flamingo...Matapalo...Conchal...Playa del Pirata...some areas around Samara....

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best beach area in costa rica

www.pachamamacaribe.com Punta Uva

www.playamontezuma.net www.ylangylangresort.com

for the pacific side...

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: best beach area in costa rica

The bay at Tamarindo Beach has several places for swimming and many visitors enjoy the best snorkeling while taking half-day catamaran sailing cruises. Tamarindo is more of a community-style tourist town with a full-complement of activities.

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best beach area in costa rica

To me, it really depends on when you are going to travel, specially if you want to snorkel. There are wonderful beaches in Costa Rica, all around the country, for both swimming and snorkeling, but the time of your travel will determine if its better to go Caribbean or Pacific.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best beach area in costa rica

Punta Uva, Manzanillo, Cahuita Point, my favorites in Costa Rica, no big hotels just Pura Vida!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best beach area in costa rica

We have decided on Costa Rica for a Christmas vacation but I am concerned about the beach. Our travel agent said to us that she hopes we are not expecting a nice beach, CR is not known for it's beaches. It won't be anything like Waikiki on Oahu.

OK guys, I want your honest opinion. Am I going to be wearing sand footwear, is it rocky, are the beaches clean? We have chose to stay in the area of Hotel Diria. Our sons want to try beginner surfing. What do you think?

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: best beach area in costa rica

I am surprised that a travel agent would say that! Here is a link where you can see what the beaches of Tamarindo look like. They're sandy and clean. I walk them every single day!

tamarindocosta-rica.com/tamarindo-costa-rica…

Honest observation... I have surfed at Waikiki and in front of the Diria Hotel in Tamarindo, Costa Rica. The waves of Waikiki offer a superior opportunity for learning to surf, the waves roll in gently and break for a long distance. However, the surf area is so crowded, the surfers are so aggressive, and the loose boards of the beginners so dangerous that they actually have "surf police" paddling their standup surfboards inside the surfing area. When I was there, some years ago, if someone got too aggressive or there is an argument, they had surf police that blew their whistles and gave out surfing tickets! Tamarindo is not like that!

Tamarindo has the best beaches in Costa Rica for learning to surf, and no "surf police" blowing whistles!

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
344 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: best beach area in costa rica

My office is across from the Diria... it's a great beach... good for swimming, perfect spot to lear how to surf... the beach is rated AA by the Health Ministry (i have the official report in my hand) which means that the beach is 100% ok for swimming and clean... send me an email to jmalavasi@hotmail.com and I will send you a full set of pictures (not promotional-touched up pictures) so you will know what to expect...

December is a great month... blue ocean (not like the Caribbean ocean) but is truly beautiful, it's sunny but, everything is still green from the rainy season . Whoever told you that Costa Rica is not known for its beaches is wrong!

So don't worry, you have it totally right, maybe try a couple of side trip from Tamairndo to Avellanas (beautiful beach, great surfing) and to Conchal (snorkelling). Both beaches are close to Tamarindo.

HAve a great trip

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best beach area in costa rica

Hi!

Costa Rica has lots of gorgeous beaches. I like MA as well as Tamarindo, they are not white sanded beaches but great for swimming, relaxing. Neither is amazing for snorkeling. You should take a sail or catamaran cruise if you want to get better snorkeling action.

However, the best snorkeling is Cano Island and this tour can be done from Dominical/Uvita area.

Cndn40sumthg, I think what your travel agent meant was that the beaches are different in CR. They don't have the same white sanded crystal clear affect as in Hawaii, but they are gorgeous and fine!

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best beach area in costa rica

I am so glad that I asked the question! I am sure that we will love CR.

We have surfed in Waikiki and agree with you surfspongerT; there are way too many wayward surfers to have a fun and safe time.

Thank you for your information.