We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport Expiration Rules

Southern California
1 post
Save Topic
Passport Expiration Rules

How long does a USA passport need to be valid after entry into Costa Rica? I find different answers everywhere: 30 days/60 days/6 months. Which is correct?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport Expiration Rules

That is a tricky question...and you better get ready for a some tricky answers...the best call the nearest Costa Rica Consulate...and avoid headaches!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Potrero/Guacamaya
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport Expiration Rules

Recently, I was aware of a case where travelers were stopped in Atlanta, because they has less than 6 months left on their passports. They were not from Georgia, but were able to get new passports from the local Federal office. They lost 2 days of their time in Costa Rica.

6 months is the time that seems to come up the most when passports are checked in departure cities. If you do not have at least that much, ger a new passport.

Have a great time when you do get to Costa Rica!

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,222 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport Expiration Rules

I agree with Roadadvisor. You should check with the proper authorities as opposed to strangers on a forum.

I know from my experience that is WAS one month for Costa Rica a while back as i did check it out since mine was expiring. (The six month thing does apply to some countries and often just to be sure some articles and travel agents or even airlines etc. use that just to be sure there are no issues etc.) However, passport rules are always subject to change. So I doubt if - had there been a change and you are stopped, it would hold much weight with the officials if they stop you and you tell them - ...but raquel_z on TA said it would be OK..........

good luck

raquel

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
36 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport Expiration Rules

I just returned to the states with no problems. Mine expires in 2 months. But if you have time why chance it!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
1 post
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport Expiration Rules

I was just looking for this answer too, because I learned a while back that each country is different. Some countries require up to 12 months left on a passport! Six months is the usual, however.

The state gov site …state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1093.html and the Costa Rica site costarica.com/trip-planning/… both say 30 days.

NOTE: I seem to recall that Europe was 6 months according to the French Consulate, but the US side required 8 months upon return... so confusing.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport Expiration Rules

I know people who had problems from the airlines if their passport was going to expire with in 6mos. It doesn't really matter if CR really is just 1 month, if your airline carrier won't let you fly then you don't get to go. So play it safe and get a new passport if you have less then 6 mos.

california
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport Expiration Rules

6 months is correct for americans in any country. if it is not 6 months they will not even let you on the plane. look it up online it clearly says 6 months.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,222 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport Expiration Rules

ManjdJ wrote:" 6 months is correct for americans in any country. ............. look it up online it clearly says 6 months. "

Actually you can find lots of things on line - but that does not necessarily mean they are correct. As mentioned before, often travel agents and other sources just say six months as it will cover any eventuality.

However if you check the US State Department for what they believe the entry requirements for Costa Rica you will find this:

…state.gov/travel/…entry_requirements

They say: "entry into Costa Rica, a U.S. citizen must present valid passport that will not expire for at least thirty days after arrival..."

And the Costa Rican Embassy in the US says similar

costarica-embassy.org/consular/visa/country-… (see what they say for US)

costarica-embassy.org/consular/…no_visa.htm

So does timatic - the source that many airlines use.

That said, if it makes you feel better - you might as well get a new passport to be sure.

raquel

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport Expiration Rules

MandJ -- When you say "it states clearly" and "look it up on line" it would be most helpful to people researching this topic if you provide a URL.

10. Re: Passport Expiration Rules

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2010, 05:17