We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oh please comment or suggest for our proposed CR itinerary.

Level Contributor
33 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Oh please comment or suggest for our proposed CR itinerary.

Hi We are adventurous, fun, (30 year old) singles planning a coed trip for four whom have never been to CR and don't typically travel to same local twice. Feb 25-March 7

We have 10 nights 11 days.

Night 1- San Jose (eat and drink)

Day & night 2&3- Early toward Monteverde and Arnel Mountain area. (Horseback, Hot springs, See Volcano and do some hiking around Monteverde, btw is there a coffee plant around here?)

Where should we stay? Looking for moderate hotel, B&B or boutique like hotel. Something unique with breakfast would be cool. Planning on two nights here while we visit these two spots Monteverde and Arnel Mountain area. Should we stay in La Fortuna or Santa Elena? Can we cab or bus to see volcano at night one day if we stay in St Elena vs. La Fortuna area?

Day 4&5 Head to Guancasta region. We want to take some surf lessons and see great beaches that have a fun enough night life but relax also and not be overrun with a touristy feel.

Thinking about two nights and days around Tamarindo or beaches around Playa Samara? If we are in a busier area around Tamarindo we would probably like our hotel or B&B to be more tranquil then.

Day 5&6 Head South Nicoya perhaps to MalPaiz or Montezuma area? Suggestions on cool places to stay similar to above description.

Day and Nights 7&8 Head to Manuel Antonio (Canopying here and Beach it too I think) -suggestions on places to stay here?

We have 1 more day or night to add somewhere, any suggestions on where to add a day?

Final Day 10 Back in San Jose go home day 11 :-(

Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oh please comment or suggest for our proposed CR itinerary.

Whoah! Slow down. :-). You're spending way too much time on the road for 10 nights. I would suggest 3 of those areas, 4 max. Otherwise you will have little time to do or see.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,294 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oh please comment or suggest for our proposed CR itinerary.

I really think that you are trying to cover too much ground. For example allowing a total of 2 days for both Arenal and Monteverde is not enough. I would say skip one of them - probably Monteverde. Also I would say, perhaps eliminate one of the beach locations.

I realize that you want to see as much as possible. However if you try to cover too much, you will end up spending a lot of time travelling and not enough enjoying and relaxing.

Have you decided how you plan to travel from place to place?

I suggest you look at this map to get an idea of times and distances between the various places..

yourtravelmap.com/costarica/…

raquel

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oh please comment or suggest for our proposed CR itinerary.

3 nights at www.arenal.net

www.arenalparaiso.com perhaps

then overnite www.monteverdeinfo.com

then 3 at www.tamarindo.com www.hotelcapitansuizo.com

then 3 at www.manuelantoniopark.com www.costaverde.com

Rent a car SJO best for 4 cheap 2WD fine www.mapache.com

Have fun,

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oh please comment or suggest for our proposed CR itinerary.

I would keep it to only 3 locations max if only 10 days, you have way too much moving from place to place and in CR it can be time-consuming. Arenal & Monteverde are 2 separate locations with a few hours between them, so it's not really advisable to stay at one and do a day trip to the other. How are you planning to get around between cities? I would look at this route calculator yourtravelmap.com/costarica/… to get an idea of how much driving you are looking at or go to the websites of either Sansa or Nature Air to get an idea of flight schedules & prices.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Oh please comment or suggest for our proposed CR itinerary.

I agree with the Capitan Suizo recommendation. Just be sure to book early, as it is a boutique hotel and get booked well in advance. There are also some nice Bed and Breakfast places like Villa Alegre or Sueno del Mar in the Langosta area. Langosta is an up-scale part of Tamarindo and just a 10-min walk from Tamarindo. Feeling like an all-inclusive nearby Tamarindo? There is the Barcelo Langosta. To help you see what Tamarindo is about, here is an orientation to the area.

tamarindocosta-rica.com/tamarindo-costa-rica…

Level Contributor
33 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oh please comment or suggest for our proposed CR itinerary.

Thanks this is very , very helpful. and why I posted!!

Maybe we will do this then as a revised itinerary:

Day 1 San Jose just a night and venture out early AM (we get in late anyway to SJO)

Days 2-3 days around Arnel, Day 4 around MV

(I heard there is a five hour, horseback, taxi, boat tour of both MV and Arnel.)

Days 5-7 Nicoya Peninsula Area What do you think about between Samara Beaches and Montezuma MalPais area?

I hear the Tamarindo area is not that great and beaches are not too pretty? We want to be able to see beautiful beaches, surf a little, have a great place to stay for the money and have some night life but don't need a college spring break scene really.

Day 8-9 Manuel Antonio

Day 10 and leave on day 11. Stay in San Jose b/c we leave in late afternoon from SJO.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oh please comment or suggest for our proposed CR itinerary.

How much you will like to spend at each destination hotels?

Luis roadadvisor

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Oh please comment or suggest for our proposed CR itinerary.

Don't know where you hear this about Tamarindo not having beautiful beaches. In fact, they are a prime reason people come here. Also, it is the Learn to Surf capital of Costa Rica. Here is a video on what the beaches look like:

tamarindocosta-rica.com/activities.html

chicago
Level Contributor
179 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oh please comment or suggest for our proposed CR itinerary.

I still think you're going to spend too much time in a car rather than relaxing! Right now this is what you're looking at:

Day 1: travel to CR (7-8 hours)

Day 2: travel to Arenal (4 hours)

Day 3: relax

Day 4: travel to Monteverde (4 hours)

Day 5: travel to nicoya ( 6-8 hours)

Day 6: relax

Day 7: relax

Day 8: travel to Manuel Antonio (6 hours?)

Day 9: relax

Day 10: travel back towards airport (4 hours)

Day 11: back home (7-8 hours)

I would do arenal, monteverde, and manuel antonio OR arenal, montezuma/mal pais, and villa blanca cloud forest hotel on the last night!

Enjoy!

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oh please comment or suggest for our proposed CR itinerary.

Hi,

That's a better itinerary, however I would recommend spending at least one night in Monteverde, maybe 2.

Then if you guys want to get Manuel Antonio in to the mix, I'd head to Montezuma/mal Pais area. They are lovely beaches, and good surf, but then you can take a water taxi to Jaco and then one more hour to MA, otherwise you will lose a full day traveling to MA from any of the other Guanacaste beaches, they are just spread too far apart and you don't want to lose too many days in the bus or car.

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro