We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sell me on a Costa Rica Honeymoon!

Lititz, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
275 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sell me on a Costa Rica Honeymoon!

Hey everyone! I'm brand new to the CR boards with VERY little knowledge on Costa Rica. My fiance and I are tossing around some ideas for a Honeymoon location for our September 2010 Wedding, and Costa Rica made the list. I thought this would be great place to start to get some advice on when, where, and what we should see and do! But first a little background on us....

We're a late 20's/early 30's couple. I've traveled quite a bit and am pretty adventerous, whereas she hasn't traveled too much and is less-adventurous. I love water, nature, and exploring. She's not a big fan water (especially the ocean), but also loves nature and exploring. I know she's interested in the rain forests, maybe a zip line tour, and possibly renting some ATV's for some self-guided exploration.

We're looking for quiet, somewhat private, and naturaly beautiful accomodations. We don't want to be right in the middle of the hustle-bustle, but being close enough to civilization to saok up some local flair, grab a bite to eat, and maybe even endulge in a little nightlife would be nice as well.

So, help me out friends! Sell me on CR as a Honeymoon destination, and let's hear some advice/opinions on where we should stay, what we should do, and what we should avoid!

Thanks so much! I'm looking forward to learning more about Costa Rica and what it has to offer!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Crossfit Surfside
Health/Fitness Clubs & Gyms, Coffee Shops
Beach & Pool Crawl
Scuba & Snorkeling, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sell me on a Costa Rica Honeymoon!

Costa Rica is an excellent destination for honeymoon. I would suggest Arenal and than Guanacaste because of the time of year. The further North you go the drier it is. Maybe kick around Tamarindo and local beaches. In Arenal you have the hot springs, zip lines, cave spelunking, do a google search for "La Fortuna Waterfall" or "Rio Celeste" you can see the kind of beauty you will find here. Try crreferals for hotel discounts http://www.crreferrals.com/TravelExperts.html in arenal the best companies for tours IMO are Desafio and skytrek. I love this country and can't imagine being anywhere else, you and your soon to be bride will truly fall in love with it as well

Cheers & Congrats

Inca

I travel, therefore I am...

Mentioned in this post
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
891 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
La Fortuna Waterfall
La Fortuna Waterfall
7,398 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Rio Celeste
Rio Celeste
1,312 Reviews
Tenorio Volcano National Park, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sell me on a Costa Rica Honeymoon!

I really don't think it is up to me to "sell you" on Costa Rica as a honeymoon destination. If you are old enough to get married, you are old enough to make up your own mind.

I suggest you spend some time searching this forum - there have been many posts about honeymoons here - and spend some time researching Costa Rica and what's available where. Put together an itinerary and we can be very helpful to you then.

For starters, look at Tamarindo - sounds like a perfect fit for you.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Lititz, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
275 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sell me on a Costa Rica Honeymoon!

Thanks for the input Inca!

Thank you as well Hattie....I think.

I realize that the decision is ultimately up to me. And yes, thank you....I'm indeed a BIG boy and capable of making a decision! I was just hoping to get some insight on which areas of CR would be good places to start looking into, given our somewhat different levels of adventurisim and love of water. Like I said, I know next to nothing about Costa Rica, admittedly, and sometimes actual people with actual experience is better than any article you can read on travel. But thanks for your advice. I will definitely be snooping through the forums here.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sell me on a Costa Rica Honeymoon!

Just want to point out that the Caribbean side of Costa Rica enjoys its best weather of the year from Sept-Oct, if you want less developed, less crowded, beaches, clean, comfortable, rustic, hotel/bungalows, that might be a option for you. Puerto Viejo area especially Punta Uva, are great for a honeymoon, and it wont break the bank, some great lodging options for less than $100 pd.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Province of Limon, Costa Rica
Punta Uva
Punta Uva
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
Lititz, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
275 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sell me on a Costa Rica Honeymoon!

Thanks so much! I'll definitley look into it! :-)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sell me on a Costa Rica Honeymoon!

When you have time, check out this website: therealcostarica.com

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sell me on a Costa Rica Honeymoon!

Guanacaste area of CR. Do the research to see if this fits for you.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,929 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sell me on a Costa Rica Honeymoon!

Hard for me top sell anything but I can try to give you some advice about some good areas.

Guanacaste beaches and Volcanos like Rincon de la Vieja.

Arenal Volcano area great for adventure tours...and of course to be next to the most octive volcano in Central America.

Manuel Antonio National Park...nice romantic area with a lot of hotels...and nice park baches.

Corcovado National Park...by Puerto Jimenez or Carate beach...great area if you like remote places with a lot of wild life...na incredible green...and isolated beaches...

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio National Park
Manuel Antonio National...
715 Reviews
Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
Corcovado National Park
Corcovado National Park
1,037 Reviews
Carate, Costa Rica
Rincon de La Vieja
Rincon de La Vieja
Arenal Volcano National Park
Arenal Volcano National...
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
Puerto Jimenez
Puerto Jimenez
Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
Carate
Carate
Corcovado National Park, Costa Rica
Lititz, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
275 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sell me on a Costa Rica Honeymoon!

Thanks Road! I appreciate the helpful advice!

Another newbie question......from what I can gather, it seems that most people visit multiple locations within Costa Rica while there. So, is that pretty much standard procedure when visiting? And if so, do most people stay in one hotel and drive back and forth, or would it be wise to split the vacation between 2 or more hotels? I guess I'm wondering if we should try to scurry around and see as many different locations as possible, or pick an area that seems to suit our needs best and stick with it. Again, I understand it really comes down to a personal choice, but do you have a recommendation as to which strategy is best for a honeymoon/first visit? Thanks again everyone!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,929 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sell me on a Costa Rica Honeymoon!

The best is to split the itinerary in two...and stay at one hotel in each location...

I drive a lot of couples like you all the time...and they love to do it that way...tow hotels ...two locations...

roadadisor