We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Go, What to Do, Where to Stay, What to See???

St Kitts
4 posts
Save Topic
Where to Go, What to Do, Where to Stay, What to See???

I plan to travel with my partner to Costa Rica in April and am having some difficulties sorting out first which part of Costa Rica we should stay....And what would be worth our while doing and seeing. It all sounds very beautiful and exciting and want to make the week we are there full of everything.

I would like to surf, hike, sight see, view wild life, and lounge on the beach. Yet we are both young and would love the opportunity to experience the night life....I guess you could say we want the whole package... anyone have any suggestions??

Oh and would it be best to rent a car or can we use public transportation?

I thank you in advance

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Go, What to Do, Where to Stay, What to See???

You'll find everything your asking for with a trip to Arenal and Tamarindo Beach. Suggest you visit these site for more info:

tamarindocosta-rica.com/tamarindo-costa-rica…

http://arenal.net

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Go, What to Do, Where to Stay, What to See???

You will need to sit down and do some searching. Google Costa Rica tourism and then focus on the places that appeal to you. Then search these forums for further information.

It is almost impossible to plan a trip for a total stranger. The activities you talk about can be done in many places. Do some homework and then get back for further specific recommendations. "What would be worth our while doing and seeing..." How do I know, really, what you would consider worth your while? You will have to decide that. There are more than 500 beaches - and on two coasts, there are rainforests, coffee farms, waterfalls, hiking trips, national parks, rafting trips, fishing trips and on and on.

Probably you will get some generic answers that people always give: Arenal, Monteverde, Manuel Antonio. These are the three most popular recommendations without knowing anything about you really.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,019 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Go, What to Do, Where to Stay, What to See???

Assuming you are coming for a week I would suggest 2 locations. Arenal is a great start with many adventure activities such as nature hikes, rafting, wind surfing, kite surfing, hot springs, spelunking/caving, not to mention beautiful waterfalls, google search for "Rio Celeste Photo" or "La Fortuna Waterfall Photo" and you will see a sample of what awaits.

After 2 or 3 nights in Arenal head to the coast, because you are young and interested in nightlife and surfing, I would say Jaco with a day trip to Manuel Antonio.

I would say Yes to renting a car, so much more freedom, the roads for everything above are all good. Get some ideas of driveing times and routes here yourtravelmap.com/costarica/…

If overwhelmed still just research answers you find on the Trip Advisor forum. If you want some specific hotel and restaurant/ bar advice for the above, I will elaborate on the best hangs and eats in the different areas.

Cheers

Inca

I travel, therefore I am...

St Kitts
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Go, What to Do, Where to Stay, What to See???

WOW! thank you so much for your reply, this is some excellent information.

I will have to check out Arenal, this place seems to have nearly everything we are looking for: I love Kite Boarding, hiking and rafting, the spelunking/caving sounds interesting as well.

I have read about Jaco and it sounds like a pretty hot spot for the younger gen... a night there might be great.

I have also read quite a bit about Manuel Antonio... just curious why do you suggest a day trip here? Is this a great sight seeing place?

Accommodation choices are plenty it seems, have you stayed at or heard much about Manuel Antonio Condo Apartments? The price seems to be great but is it worth it to stay the night here?

Where would you suggest to stay in Arenal for about 3 nights? We don't have an enormous budget but would appreciate something comfortable and with breakfast included.

What about Jaco, are there comfortable places to stay here?

Thanks much in advance.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,849 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Go, What to Do, Where to Stay, What to See???

Tamarindo is a great option...

Another great option...fly to San Jose...drive to Arenal...some great adventure tours...then to Manuel Antonio...great for surfing...beaches...nice people...good food...

You can do it by public buses...shuttles...or just rent a car.

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,849 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to Go, What to Do, Where to Stay, What to See???

Silencio del Campo is a nice popular place to stay in Arenal...they are about $150.00 including taxes and breakfast...nice little hotel...in La Fortuna you can also check...La Fortuna Hotel...around $80.00 including taxes and breakfast....El Sesteo is another great option....and around $65.00.

just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

roadadvisor

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,019 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to Go, What to Do, Where to Stay, What to See???

Manuel Antonio Park has beautiful white sand beaches and you are almost guaranteed spending the day with Capuchin Monkeys. 90% of the time I see Sloths when I go (love those little muppets!) Just kind of a Magical Place.

Jaco is great for surfing, Some good local hangs would be the Backyard Bar a few minutes up the road in Hermosa Beach. All the local surfers hang out and they also have a hotel worth looking into. Hermosa Beach was also the site of the Surfing World Games last year.

Wishbone restaurant is another favorite for the surf crowd. If anyone famous, surfing wise is in town, you will find them here. Great Sushi at Tsunami, Great fish Tacos at Bubba's. Hotel Poseidon http://www.hotel-poseidon.com/ is a good option just up the street from the small boardwalk and some nice surfing. Also Villa Estrellamar is good and centrally located.

For a couple in your 20's who enjoy surfing and nightlife, Jaco really is a perfect fit. Not the best example of Costa Rica but it has the most active nightlife on any coast here and has the surf you are looking for.

Edited: 31 January 2010, 02:30
Vancouver
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to Go, What to Do, Where to Stay, What to See???

Buzzards of Tamarindo Beach? Expat car salesmen who want you to buy into their idea of paradise. Take the Tamarindo advice with a grain of salt.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,019 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to Go, What to Do, Where to Stay, What to See???

What an odd thing to say Direxion... Can you elaborate? I love Tamarindo...

St Kitts
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to Go, What to Do, Where to Stay, What to See???

Thank you for all your great suggestions.

Yes we are young and in our mid to late 20's but we also want to experience Costa Rica. I would think one night our over the week would be plenty for us as we want to fill our days with adventure. So I am thinking just one day and one night in Jaco as I know how to surf but my partner does not so it may not be as exciting for him....

I would like to spend three nights in Arenal as this place was suggested for all the adventure tours of hiking and caving - is there a zipline course near there?? I manage a zipline tour here in St kitts and would love the opportunity to compare our product to others.

Then I was thinking two nights in Manuel Antonio to check out the park.

I will check out your suggested hotels in Arenal, do you have any suggestions for Manuel Antonio??

You have all been so great and very helpful, this is my first time using this trip advisor thing and it sure beats going though the numerous sites of Costa Rica and not knowing what to choose.