We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica not the end all

Costa Rica not the end all

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2012, 16:30
North Potomac...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Rica not the end all

Me and my fiance' are considering going to Costa Rica for our honeymoon why do you think Guatamal is better? Do they have the same type adventure tours, nightlife, good food, and etc.??? What city did you stay in?Thanks for the info.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Rica not the end all

I cannot really disagree with Ebenezer on the Americanized comment. I found that to be true as well, but the friends I traveled with didn't think so. The difference? I've spent more vacations in third world nations and concentrated more of historical sites rather than naturalist sites. CR is very safe, which can't be said for many of the other Central American countries. And it is the most biologically diverse country in the Americas. Compact and very interesting.

The main tourist areas, Arenal, Monteverde, MA, Tamarindo and others are very Americanized. But CR is a solidly middle class country, so it is naturally more developed than many of its less economically stable neighbors, and therefore has an "Americanized" feel to it. For those less comfortable with traveling off the beaten path, CR is a great choice. For those accustomed to exotic destinations, it will seem rather tame. I myself would have preferred Belize, but it was more expensive to do what we wanted wanted, and the archeological sites including a trip to Tikal in Guatemala, of course, would have bored the teens.

Costa Rica has a great deal to recommend it as a travel destination. For birders, naturalisits, those who enjoy pastoral scenery, clean and fairly priced lodging, pleasent locals and basically safe environment largely free of the very dangerous drug traffic, Costa Rica is an excellent choice.

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa Rica not the end all

Excellent post by Tourma. And I could not have said it better. Although I live in Costa Rica (Manuel Antonio), I would like to encourage travelers to try "local" type of restaurants, lodging and activities etc. You will find very much non-Americanized areas in Costa Rica even in the touristy areas and worth the visit. Venture off the beaten path! There is an "Americanized" Costa Rica and one that is truly native. What you make of your vacation is just your doing, but have a great and safe holiday! Lisa in M. Antonio

4. Re: Costa Rica not the end all

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2012, 16:30
Naples, Florida
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Costa Rica not the end all

Ebenezer, if you do not get off the "beaten" track in any country you visit you will find the same atmosphere. Costa Rica is the most advanced country in Central America and as such will have those things that most American tourists like that you perhaps do not. But if you live among the people of Costa Rica you will find a totally different atmosphere. I know because my wife and I have become residents and have lived in Costa Rica among the people for almost 2 years. We do not like gated communities, fancy hotels, touristy areas, etc and do not visit them except to show our friends or relatives what they are like. We presently live in a "Tico" home, have "tico" friends, eat "tico" food, and visit "tico" places. We find they are safe, friendly, and wonderful experiences, which we have not found in such places as Nicaraugua, Guatemala, Belize, Panama, or any other Central American country. I hope you come back and visit the "real" Costa Rica one day.

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
146 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Costa Rica not the end all

Lisa,

What restaurants would you recommend in the Manuel Antonio area?

We will be there between Xmas and New Years with our 2 kids. We would like to eat at some typical Costa Rican restaurants - - not just tourist places.

Thank!

Cindy

Quepos, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Costa Rica not the end all

I'm always amazed when tourists come to CR and stay at Los Suenos or some other resort and then complain about how "Americanized" CR has become.

CR is what you make of it. If you want to have the experience of local people and local cuisine, then you have to go out of the resort areas and find it.

There is much of CR that remains unspoiled by greedy ex-pats from the States. However, if you are only interested in staying at a resort yet somehow "living in the jungle" you will be disappointed. You can't have both.

And no you do not need maleria tablets when you stay at Los Suenos Resort.

UK
Level Contributor
192 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Costa Rica not the end all

Ebenezer where did you visit/stay in Costa Rica?