We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New fines for traffic violations -$440 Mar 1, 2010

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
New fines for traffic violations -$440 Mar 1, 2010

Spent a lovely week Feb 27th to March 6 traveling by SUV from San Jose to Arenal to Monteverde to Panama Beach on the Pacific Coast. We were stopped on Route 1 going to Liberia from Rio Grande (about 30 minutes N of there) by the transit police after we passed on a broken dotted line with other cars and trucks and pulled back in on a double line. We were told the fine would be $440, or could we settle then? He did not give an amount and someone in the car said $100 and he sai d OK. I do believe we were targeted as there were 4 people (blond in front) in a rental car with GPS on windshield. The 2 lane road has much slow moving traffic and not much time to pass. The Costa Ricans pass whenever they like. DO BE EXTRA CAREFUL!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New fines for traffic violations -$440 Mar 1, 2010

They stop any car now...blondes,,, chinese...black...costarican...and is true the fine will be $440.00...but in the next week or so will be $ 220.00 they are going down..

Costa Rica like any where in the world is trying to stop the killing of innocent people in our roads.

I was stop by a corrupt cop in USA by Colorado Springs...after some talk...he openly ask me for a way out...what? In USA? YES!

At the end we end up paying him...thank you uncle Sam!

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New fines for traffic violations -$440 Mar 1, 2010

By the way nice that the rest of the vacation was fine!

roadadvisor

kingston, ri
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New fines for traffic violations -$440 Mar 1, 2010

Hi Road Advisor!

Yes, and here in the US, often when folks received a ticket that they probably deserved, they attempt to get it "fixed". I worked at a banco where my fellow workers would ask around to see if anyone knew a higher up on the police force that could "take care of" the ticket. These are the people that would complain like crazy if they were shaken down in CR by the police. I am not insinuating that everyone in the US does that, but we have our share of dishonest people here, too.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New fines for traffic violations -$440 Mar 1, 2010

There is a whole new set of traffic laws and fines that have recently been put into place. Roadadvisor hit it on the head when he said Costa Rica is trying to keep more people alive on the roads. Some of the laws are being adjusted by the legislature but if you rent a car, be sure to ask for a list of current laws. The fines for speeding or driving drunk have increased dramatically, for instance. The traffic police, known as MOPT, are out in force and stopping lots of people. Some things won't apply to you such as non-payment of registration fees or driving without a license. They are also cracking down on aftermarket tints for windows that won't affect you. Seatbelts and carseats for kids are being strictly enforced.

If you rent a car, just be very aware of the posted speed limits and follow them and don't cross the double line, no matter how many people are speeding or crossing the double line. Remember that 80 kph is not the same as 80 miles per hour. Don't pay the police,, tell them you will take the ticket and pay the fine. Don't be scared off if they tell you some enormous amount like $440. If you pay the police, you now become part of the criminal bribery system.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New fines for traffic violations -$440 Mar 1, 2010

Thank you lyncota...thank you for sharing your great and impartial point of view!

roadadvisor

Springfield, MO
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: New fines for traffic violations -$440 Mar 1, 2010

FIrst of all, for they guy stopped in CO: Did you report the cop? You should be ashamed of yourself if you didn't. His badge number is right on the ticket please call the Co state police or your local FBI agent because we do not need this type of person "protecting and serving".

I am in the same boat as another poster. cop says I was passing when I wasn't then he says maybe we don't have to have a ticket for the right amount of money. I refused then he says "yes you were speeding also, and also you are drunk and I think you may have some drugs in your car." What do you do at this point?

I want to report him but to whom? I will pay the fine so I can leave the country (I am not here to screw the rental company). When and where does this greed and corruption stop? I work in Iraq and those people are just as bad. Is the police force here just as pathetic as Iraq? Why does everybody have a fence around their house?

I will be spending my money in Panama next time.

7. Re: New fines for traffic violations -$440 Mar 1, 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 March 2010, 17:35
8. Re: New fines for traffic violations -$440 Mar 1, 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 March 2010, 17:35
Weston, Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New fines for traffic violations -$440 Mar 1, 2010

Someone wrote earlier that fines were set to go down since they raised them up so high. What is the REAL amount for speeding these days.Is it still $440 dollars?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New fines for traffic violations -$440 Mar 1, 2010

Fines did not go down - not passed yet by the legislature. Drive carefully and obey the laws or it could get expensive! And, yes, many people believe that this is a way for the government to raise money to pay for all those new traffic cops. If the law is amended, I will post the information.

As for crooked cops -- it seems every week I read about another traffic cop being arrested for extorting bribes. Just this week there was an article about a 20-year veteran who was arrested for this. Perhaps the traffic police are slowly but surely weeding out the bad guys. We can hope!