We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange rate right now

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Exchange rate right now

Can anyone please tell me how much the ATMs at the airport, and hotels in nature reserves are paying right now for £1 british sterling? I'm being offered 714 colones here in England and want to know if this is a good deal. Or should I bring dollars to Costa Rica and try to get by? I'll only be able to exchange money at the airport if I don't exchange in the UK because I'll be whisked off on a tour well away from banks and the city the moment I arrive. Many thanks BW

London
Level Contributor
184 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchange rate right now

I can't say right now, but two weeks ago when I withdrew colones from the ATM machines (in various locations) it worked out to around 795 to the £.

We took some dollars with us and withdrew colones locally. There is an ATM at the airport when you arrive, but I have read advice here not to exchange cash there as the rate is not great.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchange rate right now

There are ATM all over Costa Rica, you can take out colones or dollars, exchange your money at banks for best rates. Central Bank Reference Rate today, BUY ₡ 530.87-SELL ₡ 541.30 in dollars.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,169 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchange rate right now

At the moment at 3:49PM today ...537.50 colones per $1.00 USD! That is low...but looks like is going up again!

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchange rate right now

For a quick look at the exchange rate you will get at a bank, you can check www.bancobcr.com

This is the website of the Banco de Costa Rica and the home page will have the exchange rate displayed. Other banks will be similar, maybe 2 or 3 colones different.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
127 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchange rate right now

Bloomberg's currency calc is always showing real time spot...

bloomberg.com/invest/…currency.html

6. Re: Exchange rate right now

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2010, 07:18