We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

long term car rental

florida
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Topic
long term car rental

Hi,

Any suggestions for long term car rental. We are thinking about staying 2-3 months. We will fly into San Jose but will be spending most of our time in Nosara.

Do you have any idea of what kind of costs I will run into for such a long period? Also do not have a credit card but would like to use my debit card.

Thanks.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: long term car rental

Your best bet is to check online with the various rental car companies. There have been lots of posts here about them so by using the search function, you can get a good idea of the various experiences folks have had.

It is sometimes tricky to use a debit card to rent a car - if there is any kind of dispute, you will lose unlike using a credit card.

The other thing to consider is to buy a car while you are here and then sell it when you leave. Cars are expensive here - there is a 50% import tax - but they don't lose their value. You will have to get a driver's license but that is really no problem and easy to do. Check with the MOPT or COSEVI website; there is information there about how to do it.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: long term car rental

You can e-mail...Service rent a car...they may have an answer for you!

roadadvisor

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,110 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: long term car rental

I have actually rented long-term here - three months to be exact. All agencies we talked to were limited to one-month rentals. After that, you had to return to one of their offices and renew the rental for another month. Cost varies by vehicle - we paid US$1000 per month for a 4x4 - but that was many years ago.

You actually do NOT need to get a CR drivers license. Your current one is valid for up to 90 days. It's possible that you need one when you purchase a car in your name (rather than in a company's name) - I can only guess that Hattie is referring to that.

To the best of my knowledge, just about all rental agencies require a credit card but I have never tried to rent without one and cannot be 100% positive in that regard.

I would probably simply call several renters and see what they have to say. Email can be a bit unreliable...

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: long term car rental

Have done this cheapest with Colones good local

Long Term special rates are a specialty...

https://colonesautorental.com/Home_Page.html

nc Coast
Level Contributor
299 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: long term car rental

About 4 years ago I rented for 3 months. The company was a non franchise company with older cars and was 1/2 the price of the big names. I just put the rental out for bids via e-mail when I had my dates firmed up.

Only problem I had was the 4x4 did not work but luckily I did not need it. Can't remember the company name but can look it up if you are interested.

Happy travels,

TR

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: long term car rental

Oops, sorry Framptonian, I misread the amount of time the OP will be spending in CR. Absolutely right - no need for CR drivers license if only here 3 months.

A nice place
Level Contributor
867 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: long term car rental

Sent an email to Wild Rider, friends of us have a house in Costa Rica and always rent from them for longer periods.

8. Re: long term car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2010, 05:17