We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many nights in Arenal/Manuel Antonio?

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
65 posts
194 reviews
Save Topic
How many nights in Arenal/Manuel Antonio?

We have 6 nights to spend between the two. How many would you spend in each? We'll be flying into San Jose and renting a car. Our first and last night are booked in San Jose. Manuel Antonio is definitely a place we want to see, but Arenal is up in the air.

Is it worth going to or should we go somewhere else? Any recs on a place close to MA or San Jose that's worth seeing? Thanks for any help!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,945 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many nights in Arenal/Manuel Antonio?

Definitely recommend Arenal. With 6 nights I would do 2 in Arenal and the rest in Manuel Antonio. Arenal is a very unique location that should not be missed.

Cheers

Inca

ilovespanish
Level Contributor
47 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many nights in Arenal/Manuel Antonio?

I agree, definitely do arenal. I would almost say to do more nights there and less in MA... there is SO much to do in Arenal - and if you have a day or two at the beach, you might get bored with that area after that long.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many nights in Arenal/Manuel Antonio?

www.arenal.net at least 3 days for me

www.ruralcostarica.com Rio Celeste and www.skytrek.com

Liquid Lava with Desafio all great

Last 2-3 days at MA for beach

Have fun,

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many nights in Arenal/Manuel Antonio?

Maybe two nights in Arenal and the rest in Manuel Antonio....

A tour of Manuel Antonio National Park is a must, Maurilio Cordero maybe one of the best guides in the area, about $35.00 per person!

In Arenal maybe La Fortuna waterfall and El Silencio and some zipplining in Skytreck!

roadadvisor

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many nights in Arenal/Manuel Antonio?

If Arenal is up in the air, then I would recommend 4 nights in Manuel Antonio and 2 nights in Arenal.

I really recommend a couple of days in Arenal!

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many nights in Arenal/Manuel Antonio?

I recommend an even split, but not less days in Arenal. Almost everyone I've talked to wished they had more time in Arenal...just a great area and tons to do. Especially if you do the Cano Negro tour (which is wonderful but takes up most of a day) you will want at least 2 full days there. Do plan on dedicating a day inside MA park though (1/2 day hiking, 1/2 day swimming) it's gorgeous!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many nights in Arenal/Manuel Antonio?

Been to MA and Arenal. if you want a beach vacation do MA 4 and Arenal 2. If beach is "secondary" I'd opt for more time in Arenal. Why? IMHO more "non" beach stuff to do in Arenal.

Either way have a great trip!

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,049 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many nights in Arenal/Manuel Antonio?

For me MA wasn't just about the beaches. They have some good tours too and of course the park is not to be missed.

I lean towards two in Arenal and four in MA, which is how we did it, but we also really liked Arenal so I don't think you can go wrong if you decide to split them evenly.

Edited: 13 April 2010, 20:54
Sunny California
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many nights in Arenal/Manuel Antonio?

Lots of wildlife in Cano Negro... easy trip from Arenal, but it will take up an entire day. Waterfall, Ziplines and hot springs the next. Arenal is a great city. Manuel Antonio is great too, but they are completly different.

10. Re: How many nights in Arenal/Manuel Antonio?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2010, 06:23