We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Almost 4 days in Costa Rica - July 2010

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Almost 4 days in Costa Rica - July 2010

Hi

My boyfriend and I are going to CR in July. We get in to San Jose at 13.30 on 17 July and fly out from SJ at 14.00 on 21 July.

We wanted to see the Arenal volcano, Playa conchal and Manuel Antonio Park.

What's the best way of fitting this all in? From the internet searches I have done it appears there are no connecting flights on Saturday, 17 July from San Jose to Arenal after we land (around 15.00 or 16.00 to be on the safe side). All the connecting flights appear to be over by 12pm. is that right?

We are happy to book flights, catch buses or hire a car with driver.

Help would be very much appreciated!!!!

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Almost 4 days in Costa Rica - July 2010

It is totally impossible to see these 3 spots. My recommendation would be to pick Manual Antonio.

Why? When you arrive head to Arenal. From Arenal you can get a flight to MA, and from MA you can catch a flight back.

There aren't flights to Playa Conchal from Arenal, and it's a good 5 hours drive. There are no flights from PLaya conchal to MA, and it's literally 8 drive.

So for 4 days, you can squeeze in 2 spots.

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Almost 4 days in Costa Rica - July 2010

For only a few nights I would just go to Manuel Antonio. No way would I try to hit 3 spots in 4 days, all you'd see is the road! You can fly out to Quepos and back or hire a driver.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Almost 4 days in Costa Rica - July 2010

Rent a cheap car what I do...

www.servicecarrental.com

drive up to www.arenal.net for a nite or 2

4 hours to www.reservaconchal.com then 6 hours to

www.manuelantoniopark.com

Would skip one beach 2 too rushed in the time you have

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Almost 4 days in Costa Rica - July 2010

Marina... not aware of any flights between Arenal and Manuel Antonio? I'm no expert on this travel route... something new?

You could fly into Tamarindo Airport (This is the town closest to Playa Conchal.),and visit the beach and Arenal on your way back. Tamarindo is a closer to Arenal than Manuel Antonio both by distance and driving time.

By the way, much of the road from San Jose to Tamarindo is now like a super highway. I just took The Greyline Bus and they picked me up at 3pm in San Jose and I was in Tamarindo (close to Playa Conchal) at 8:00, even after two stops at other hotels.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Almost 4 days in Costa Rica - July 2010

Wow that is a lot of stuff to do in a short time.

Arenal and Manuel Antonio are the only 2 you can fit in. The only way to do it IMO is by using a private driver when you arrive and go to Arenal. 2 nights in Arenal one full day. Then use a private driver to get from Arenal to Manual Antonio. 2 nights in MA and one full day. Then fly out on the first flight from Quepos back to San Jose on the day you fly home.

This is way to much running around for me, but you would be able to see both places.

If you rent a car you will be wasting a ton of time trying to figure how to get from one place to another, and it is very time consuming to just pick up and drop off the car. Shuttles and public transport will also eat up to much time. With this tight of a schedule there is no time to waste.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Almost 4 days in Costa Rica - July 2010

I would just pick two also. You could fly from SJO to Liberia, transfer to Playa Conchal - not far away - spend a couple of days there, transfer to Arenal and then back to the airport.

Day 1 - arrive SJO and take flight to Liberia, taxi or driver or shuttle to Conchal.

Day 2-3 Playa Conchal transfer to Arenal afternoon of Day 3

Day 4 - Arenal

Day 5 - early am transfer to airport or fly from Arenal to SJO

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Almost 4 days in Costa Rica - July 2010

If you like to move around DO IT!...a little to much ...but of course is possible...the best way to do it...rent a car ...at least in some sections...from San Jose to Arenal by shuttle... rent a car to drive from Arenal to Conchal...drive to Manuel Antonio...return the car and shuttle or a private service from MA to SJO...just about 2 and half hours drive!

roadadvisor

Guanacaste
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Almost 4 days in Costa Rica - July 2010

I would take a flight from San Jose to Tamarindo via Nature Air or Sansa (regional flights) , once there the rent a car company will be waiting for you to deliver the car. You will drive up to Conchal (10 minutes from the Tamarindo airport) spend some time there and then drive up to Arenal (about 3.5 hour drive) where you can drop the car off and travel back to San Jose with a Shuttle Service. 3 days is to short to hit 3 destinations.

I hope this helps.

9. Re: Almost 4 days in Costa Rica - July 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2010, 06:21