We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Copy of passport?

Boston MA
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Copy of passport?

I've read a few places that one should not take their actual passport with them when out and about in CR but rather a copy. Makes sense but I have a question for people who've done this.

Do you just present both your passport and a photocopy at customs and ask them to stamp both or do you make a copy of the stamped passport once through customs?

Thanks!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,995 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Copy of passport?

Just photocopy info page and stamp. Many places here will actually photocopy your passport, shrink it, and laminate it for you for just a couple dollars. Ends up being drivers license size. Any place that does copies here usually offers something like this. you can find one in almost every town. Great for traveling

Cheers

Inca

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Copy of passport?

Be sure copies are legible and keep them as a backup

Keep my passport on my person in my money belt

or in the hotel safe not a room safe

More US Passports stolen in CR than any

other country in the world street value over $3k

so wise to be careful and have a backup...

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Copy of passport?

You can even go so far as to scan your documents like VISA, birth cert, passport, emergency numbers, etc to you e-mail before you leaves. So that in the case of a real disaster (losing everything) you can access this info from your e-mail. I do this when traveling overseas although I'm sure some might think it overkill.

Seekonk, Mass
Level Contributor
483 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Copy of passport?

That email idea is great. I always scan my passport and credit cards and keep the paper in a separate area. Unfortunately losing this paper would have the same results as losing the cards.

Email link would solve this....

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,995 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Copy of passport?

That is BRILLIANT Travelicious. Never thought of that.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Copy of passport?

That is a good idea. I think it would be safer then having copies of the credit cards with you.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Copy of passport?

Glad to be able to contribute something helpful. :-)

I've never had to rely on it...and hopefully never will!

Maine
Level Contributor
65 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Copy of passport?

Keep a copy of your passport with you in case the policia ask you for it (like they did us today!). We leave our passports at the hotel.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,644 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Copy of passport?

Just to be sure...you need the original at arrival...to check into Costa Rica!

roadadvisor

10. Re: Copy of passport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2010, 08:15