We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packages Versus Booking on your own

Maryland
Level Contributor
97 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Packages Versus Booking on your own

Trying to do La Fortuna area with these tours

- rappelling waterfall

- white water rafting

Beach for 2-3 days.

I have seen some tours that do La Fortuna- Monteverde-Playa Samara.

When I looked up doing things separately it seems cheaper. Unless I am completely forgetting something.

Has anyone planned their trip to more than 1 location by outside a tour company? I know that La Fortuna is 3 hours away from the major San Jose airport so flight times is important to me. Is it best to get a flight arrive sometime in the morning then a return flight leaving later in the afternoon or evening? I have no desire to stay a night in San Jose.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,841 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Packages Versus Booking on your own

Arrive early, depart late. Depending on what company you go with will determine if a trip is more expensive or less. Some planners charge for the service, some charge nothing, and some save you money. Just depends on the company. My fav for planning and discounts is crreferals - http://www.crreferrals.com/TravelExperts.html my second fav is - http://www.horizontes.com/eng/ but there are many good companies out there to choose from.

It is also just as easy to plan it yourself. Offer to pay in cash and this will often get you a discount. I think the best reason to go with a planner is that they take care of the logistics so you don't have to worry. But if you are a seasoned traveler you may not need this.

Cheers

Inca

Maryland
Level Contributor
97 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Packages Versus Booking on your own

What I have so far is by booking on my own. These are per person prices, so the hotels I divided the cost in half. I threw in one night stay in San Jose depending flight times. It will take looks like 6-7 hours to get there and I'm not sure if I can sit in a bus for another full 3-4 hours to get to Fortuna in the same day. However, it would save money to skip a night in San Jose.

Excursions are estimated of course depending on activities.

Transfer to La Fortuna $39

Hotel - 3 Nights La Fortuna $93

Transfer to Jaco (beach) $39

Hotel - 3 Nights Playa Samara $93

Transfer to San Jose $29

Roundtrip Flight $350

One Night in San Jose $45

Excursions $250

Total per person -- $938

Am I missing anything?

Packages that I have found seem to cost anywhere from $600-$800 per person just for land transfers and hotel. No flight or excursions. I've got the trip so far under a $1000.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Packages Versus Booking on your own

You can do many things in your own...and save money...but others is better to have somebody locally to help you!

roadadvisor

Maryland
Level Contributor
97 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Packages Versus Booking on your own

Yeah, doing it on my own is a headache. Trying to coordinate the flight time with the transporation time, and hotels.

I did look into the sites listed and will see what they have to offer.

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Packages Versus Booking on your own

You are doing the same as I have and have also received help from those agencies listed by Inca. Check them out. Also check with Marina on this forum, pm me for her email.

What you are missing is taxi costs to places not included in tours , ie going into town for a meal in La Fortuna unless you are within walking distance.

Also you are missing your meal costs.

Edited: 23 April 2010, 16:31
Maryland
Level Contributor
97 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Packages Versus Booking on your own

Thanks! I was adding up costs of just everything except meals for right now, basically the known costs up front.

I have checked out a couple land package companies and Desafio (spelling?) does packages as well that seem reasonable.

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Packages Versus Booking on your own

These two links have also been posted in this forum for reasonable pricing.

http://bookit.com/central-america/costa-rica/

http://www.gotmyfare.com/category/costa-rica/

8. Re: Packages Versus Booking on your own

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2010, 06:23