We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Itinerary to Book???

Maryland
Level Contributor
97 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Which Itinerary to Book???

I know there are a zillion different itineraries but these are two considering. These are with private transportation through a tour company, we are not renting a car.

OPTION 1

Days 1, 2, 3 & 4

Arrive at airport about 1PM and transport to

La Fortuna / Arenal and stay for 4 nights

Days 5, 6 & 7

Manuel Antonio

Day 8

Transport to Airport for 2:30PM flight home

OPTION 2

Days 1, 2, 3 & 4

Arrive at airport about 1PM and transport to

La Fortuna / Arenal and stay for 4 nights

Days 5 & 6

. Playa Samara

Day 7

Morning at beach

Transport to Alajuela to stay overnight

Day 8

Transport to airport for flight home

price wise they are about the same (like $10 difference). Manual Antonio seems nice on paper but I read it is very far from Arenal and we'd waste a whole day traveling but I think Samara is the same deal? They said we can also go from Samara to airport the same morning as flight but would have to leave very early in the morning.

I like Manual Antonio because of the park and the popularity. However, it seems that for a hotel you can get little more for your money in Samara.

Any advice with this itinerary?

Maleku Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
Guanacaste Viajes & Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, River Rafting & Tubing, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Costa Rica Best Trips
Boat Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, River Rafting & Tubing, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Issys Tours Costa Rica
Taxis & Shuttles, River Rafting & Tubing, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,920 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Itinerary to Book???

I like and love Samara...but to much driving...you have no many days...better to spend as much as you can do at each location...not driving!

In your case NO Samara!

roadadvisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Maryland
Level Contributor
97 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Itinerary to Book???

Ok, so Samara would require more driving where Manual Antonio will be less driving.

So you say go to Manuel Antonio?

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
48 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Itinerary to Book???

if its a first trip do the first one. MA is very cool

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,995 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Itinerary to Book???

Samara has the advantage of lodgings right on the beach while most of the MA lodgings are on along the high ridge road overlooking the ocean - great views but not a beach outside your door. There are a few exceptions closer to the public beach but they are modest spots. There are also a couple of high end spots with "private beaches" but a long walk down the hill to the water in most instances. Advantages of MA - spectacular national park with lots of wildlife including monkeys and near perfect but unimproved beaches inside the park look like something out of paradise. The public beach outside the park entrance is great if you want to rent beach chairs, go boogie boarding or surfing or just hang out. Lots of restaurants and activites to choose from. Disadvantage is that 5 hour drive from Arenal. Samara is a 4 hour drive from Arenal but also a much longer drive back to SJO. If you leave Arenal early in the morning for MA you can hit the beach in the afternoon. Be sure and stop at the bridge over the Rio Tarcoles on the way down and gaze at the monster crocodiles in the water below. I'd vote for Option 1.

5. Re: Which Itinerary to Book???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2010, 07:30