We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mandatory Car Rental Insurance

United States
Level Contributor
43 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Mandatory Car Rental Insurance

I have seen it mentioned on the forum several times that car rental insurance is mandatory in CR but, when shopping around it seems optional. I've never gotten it before and always rely on my Amex Gold Card for their insurance. Why is it mandatory? Could someone clarify this info? Thanks.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,644 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mandatory Car Rental Insurance

All cars in Costa Rica...private or rent...they most have , what we call MANDATORY insurance...nobody rides without insurance...nobody!

roadadvisor

United States
Level Contributor
43 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mandatory Car Rental Insurance

The rental car comes with insurance, but I guess I am getting confused because there's optional UPGRADABLE insurance which is an additional charge. Is that right?

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mandatory Car Rental Insurance

I think part of the confusion is that there is no set standard for rental companies to include the mandatory insurance in their quotes. They all have to charge it but some opt to exclude it from their quotes.

In addition, all companies offer "upgrades," ranging from Loss-Damage-Waiver and Collision-Damage-Waiver, to personal insurance and reductions in deductible.

Your credit card does NOT provide insurance, no matter what card you carry. Some cards do cover CDW - which is insurance against damage to the car you are driving, i.e, the rental car. CDW does not cover damages to others or their property - that's where the mandatory insurance comes in.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mandatory Car Rental Insurance

You have LIABILTY(LDW) mandatory for CR is never covered by credit card

usually runs $10/da or so and up...some companies include in quote

but check carefully...

CDW is provided by your Amex many good companies like

www.mapache.com will take that save you a lot...

www.servicecarrental.com www.wild-rider.com good experience

recently for me.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mandatory Car Rental Insurance

costa-rica-guide.com/travel/index.php…

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mandatory Car Rental Insurance

A certain level of insurance is mandatory, more can be purchased. Here is an article with a detailed explanation. It's worth really understanding the rules.

tamarindocosta-rica.com/rental-cars.html

United States
Level Contributor
43 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mandatory Car Rental Insurance

Thank you all for the info. I will make sure to review it all, I want to make sure I am protected properly!

8. Re: Mandatory Car Rental Insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2010, 07:16