We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mandatory, govt-required car rental insurance

Washington DC
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mandatory, govt-required car rental insurance

I've rented a 4WD automatic transmission Daihatsu SUV from Budget from June 25 - July 2. Got what I think is a great rate of $180 total, but am trying to determine whether that rate in fact reflects what will be my true cost, i.e., whether I will have to pay another fee on top of that rate for mandatory rental insurance. I have read many places that there is a government requirement to purchase car rental insurance beyond what is provided by my credit card company. I called Budget to ask whether my rate included that insurance. I was told that there is no mandatory insurance requirement but that I can purchase optional CDW and liability coverage (approximately $11 and $13 each per day, respectively). So now I am confused! Did I get bum scoop from the Budget rep I spoke with on the phone? Thanks for any help!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mandatory, govt-required car rental insurance

The mandatory insurance will add another $70 to your bill......

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,929 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mandatory, govt-required car rental insurance

With all my respect...MANDATORY insurance is necessary in and at any car...rent a car or private...some how it is going to be show in your rental contract...no car can drive without breaking the law ...without a MANDATORY car insurance!

roadadvisor

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mandatory, govt-required car rental insurance

Here is a link with comprehensive information about the matter.

tamarindocosta-rica.com/travel/rental-cars/4…

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mandatory, govt-required car rental insurance

LDW mandatory always in CR in fact.

Good companies provide total quote that shows this.

www.wild-rider.com

www.servicecarrental.com

cheaper 2 of my favs...

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mandatory, govt-required car rental insurance

I also am renting from Budget Car Rental this month, does this mean that the price quoted already has the insurance included? Seems like it should if it is required. I agree with the originally poster, I don't want any surprises when I pick up my rental car.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mandatory, govt-required car rental insurance

Last poster: I rented a car from National a couple weeks ago and the quote did not include the insurance. You should look closely at the Budget quote to know; print it out from the website or call them.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,929 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mandatory, govt-required car rental insurance

Good point...call the rent a car and get a name if possible!

roadadvisor

Central Florida
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Mandatory, govt-required car rental insurance

I just booked a car through Alamo. One of the "add-ons" is Personal Liability Insurance (PLI) at $10/day. I am assuming this qualifies as the mandatory insurance.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mandatory, govt-required car rental insurance

Another source for insurance information, hope it helps.

www.ticotravel.com/costarica/inseuropcar.htm

Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mandatory, govt-required car rental insurance

Email them with your confirmation # and request the inforamtion, type of car rented, dates, pick up times and return time, type of insurance included, # of drivers etc.

This way when you show up you will have it in writing rather than verbal on the phone, with just a name of a representative that won't remember the conversation!

Just an idea.