We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Steak in Costa Rica

dallas
Level Contributor
477 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Steak in Costa Rica

I hear that steak is typically served rare, is it possible to order and receive a steak that is medium well (only slightly pink in the middle) or will I be repeatedly sending my steak back because of the interpretation of medium well?

Thanks.

Dallas
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Steak in Costa Rica

Beef aficionados might want to skip the steak in Costa Rica and stick with chicken and seafood. Eat your beef at home.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,298 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Steak in Costa Rica

We had some good steaks in La Fortuna at El Novillo. I don't remember them being served rare. Some of the beef in CR tends to be chewier than what we're used to in the states though.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Steak in Costa Rica

I´m surprise about this question...in a good steak house or good restaurant here in Costa Rica...they know as good as anywhere else about the steaks terms...

We expòrt a lot of our black Angus and Brown Angus to USA...and many different cuts... our meat is without hormones as most USA beef!

Try it some good steaks from RETANA farms served at Don Rufinos in La Fortuna...

Roadadvisor

dallas
Level Contributor
477 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Steak in Costa Rica

Thanks! Roadadvisor, I was just told from someone that the interpretation of medium was different. When we were in Italy I sent back a steak 3 times and it was still rare, just the way they cooked it! I will try a steak in Arenal at El Novillo or Don Rufinos.

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Steak in Costa Rica

A few words to help you:

Rare: poco cocido

Medium: término medio

Well done: bien cocido

Medium well done: medio bien hecho

Double check me on this roadadvisor :)

dayton, ohio
Level Contributor
115 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Steak in Costa Rica

Skip steak in Costa Rica. You will be disappointed more times than not. Surprisingly they have good Italian food in Costa Rica almost everywhere. Not sure why Italian works well in Costa Rica?

Enjoy,

b

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Steak in Costa Rica

Just to clarify again...at El Novillo in La Fortuna ...they only serve SIRLOIN...for us a good SIRLOIN is hard most of the time with more flavor than a Top Sirloin..

If you like a great steak...even better than many places in Canada or USA...stop by...El Chicote in San Jose...La Cascada in Escazu...La Parrillada Argentina in Escazu...Fogo du Brasil in San Jose...any of the 3 Don Fernando steak houses in San Jose or th one in Tamarindo...

Our beef is from happy cows natural feed...not full of hormones and artifical stimulants to gain weight...the best steaks in COSTA RICA!

Just let me know if you are around San Jose I can help you getting to a great juicy, tender steak...and from a happy cow!

Funny...that a lot of the meat moistly in the East side of USA is from Costa Rica...I wonder how they eat it?

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Steak in Costa Rica

You can check...www.restaurantenovilloalegre.com

Nice web...and great steaks...

roadadvisor

Dallas
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Steak in Costa Rica

Listen to roadrunner he must know where to get a good steak. Most steak in Costa Rica not so good. Very tough. Maybe all of the happy cows are exported. Italian and Thai food is excellent.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Steak in Costa Rica

Roadadvisor is right, you can get great steaks in Costa Rica, but you need to know where to go. I've also had those shoe leather steaks BJCarterIII refers to, but that was before I figured out where to order steaks and where not to order steaks.

To be on the safe side if you are unsure, many of the tourist restaurants offer filet at a very reasonable price, and they are reliably as tender as US filets and more flavorful than filet typically is in the States. I've not experienced a problem with steaks being cooked correctly to my specifications, at least not any moreso than in the US.