We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decisions, Decisions

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Decisions, Decisions

My husband and I are trying to decide if we want to stay on the Caribbean side or the Pacific side. We are fairly adventure-orientated and love the beach. We love to hike and see new things. But are terribly stuck as to where we want to go. I have looked at staying at the Hotel Banana Azul, or a hotel in Guanastcaste. Has anyone stayed in both places and have an opinion. Please help us figure something out. On a side note, we are also considering Los Cabos, Mexico. Any suggestions? Thanks, Jess

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Los Cabos
Los Cabos
Baja California Sur, Mexico
Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Decisions, Decisions

When is a big factor whether to stay on the Caribbean side or not?

What is your travel date?

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Decisions, Decisions

We are planning on August (in a month).... Need to go before the MBA program starts back up again... !

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Decisions, Decisions

Decisions on travel dates? Look around some web sites. Decide what you want to do, write them down, and put them in priority. Sounds like you'll need to travel to at least two locations. Once you do this, helping you will be easy.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,571 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decisions, Decisions

Los Cabos is a very dry environment. Puerto Viejo is the opposite extreme, a Caribbean lowland rainforest. Guanacaste beaches are in a dry area, but with an August trip the areas will have greened up some. Puerto Viejo's best weather months are Sept. and Oct. but you can still expect some rain in this location. Puerto Viejo is great fun for exploring beaches and there's agreat deal of wildlfie in this area, far more than your other choices. In addition there's, Gandoca Manzanillo Reserve, Cahuita national park, a sloth sanctuary nearby, surfing, ocean kayaking, waterfall hikes, visits to indigenous people and lots of great seafood. And great whtiewater rafting on the way to/from San Jose on the Pacuare River, the most spectacular whitewater river canyon in Central America. Am I showing my bias?

Mentioned in this post
Los Cabos
Los Cabos
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Pacuare River
Pacuare River
112 Reviews
Costa Rica
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Decisions, Decisions

We are thinking of August 15-20 give or take a day or two... I am looking for suggestions on location... Caribbean coast at Hotel Banana or Guanacaste on the Pacific. We will probably only do one coast or the other and really go all out on the chosen coast.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Decisions, Decisions

I love the bias CRFAN! thank you! I am hoping that I will have enough suggestions and helpful opinions that will make our decision this weekend... Keep 'em coming!

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Decisions, Decisions

Ive been to all three places and Los Cabos, is basically an extension of the states, with crystal clear waters, and super duper expensive.

Caribbean in CR is not like the Caribbean you're used, the ocean is different here, however, it is great for the local vibe, it's much more laid back, and I prefer it over some of Gunancaste areas.

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

Mentioned in this post
Los Cabos
Los Cabos
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Decisions, Decisions

Either side of CR is nothing like Los Cabos, LC is much more developed, Banana Azul is a great small hotel on the beach in Playa Negra area of Puerto Viejo, perfect for exploring the area. There are also some nice small hotels in Guanacaste, but if you are going in late August, I take my chances with the weather being better on the Caribbean side.

Mentioned in this post
Los Cabos
Los Cabos
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
encinitas,calif.
Level Contributor
973 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Decisions, Decisions

i think cabo could be muggy and posibly rain in august. i am pretty sure you are in thehurricane season. its a beautiful place in good weather. lots of choices of hotels. not too much to do inless you golf, tennis or fish. food can be fabulous or mediocre. so different than costa rica. but august weather in c.r. can be rainy also...

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,090 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Decisions, Decisions

I love the Caribbean side of our country...wet or dry is always nice...but the best is keep asking questions and research...

August is wet at the Pacific side...hwo wet...sorry hard to know!

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America