We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shoe wear? Clothing for rain?

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
161 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Shoe wear? Clothing for rain?

We are headed out to Costa Rica in 2 weeks so I know it will be raining. I am worried about what type of shoes to wear for simple hiking and canopy tours. Do I need to get hiking sneakers (low tops or high tops??) or will our everyday sneakers/runnig shoes suffice?

How about rainwear? Coat or poncho? which is suggested?

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
747 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shoe wear? Clothing for rain?

Sneakers will usually suffice. When the sun does come out stick them in the sunshine for a quick dry.

A rain poncho may come in handy although they can be hot underneath. The good news is that even when it's rainy it's never cold. On excursions just bring along a change of clothes in case you do get soaked. Bring plastic bags to keep things dry and even a zip lock for your camera.

The best thing is just to accept that at some point you're probably going to get wet. It is what it is and don't let it ruin your holiday.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,406 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shoe wear? Clothing for rain?

I think a poncho can do it...and about shoes some soft kiking boots...somenthing that will dry fast...and with good traction!

roadadvisor

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,377 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shoe wear? Clothing for rain?

We bring running shoes and Keen's quick drying shoes. Also pack cheap rain ponchos from Target that fold up into a little pouch. We had cool weather in Monteverde and were glad we had each packed a sweatshirt. We've used those rain ponchos a lot; I like them better than an umbrella because they keep your hands free and don't interfere with your view.

dallas
Level Contributor
145 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shoe wear? Clothing for rain?

For the rainy season, I think Keens are a great choice. I did some rainforest hiking in Teva sandals and felt a little exposed. I got by, and cleaned up easily, but I would have been more comfortable with my toes covered. My daughter was in tennis shoes which got soggy, muddy, and mildly miserable. Our local tour guide wore Wellingtons (as did the zip line operators) and got around just fine! One note about the zip lines...if you zip line in the rain (which we did, and still had a great time) either wear a poncho or clothes you don't ever plan to wear again. The zip lines are lubricated, and when wet, that oil comes off on you! We were covered from head to toes. Came off the hair and skin fine, but my clothes were hopeless. For hiking, we wore Target ponchos which worked great. A cheap raincoat that is a little more fitted is a nice idea, too. The ponchos can be easy to trip over when going up or down hill, and a raincoat with a little less excess fabric works great. Have fun!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,406 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shoe wear? Clothing for rain?

Excellent point about the lubrication at the zip lines...do not take your Sunday clothes while doing the zip lines!

roadadvisor

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shoe wear? Clothing for rain?

do GoreTex trail hikers if spending time hiking

several pairs of GoreTex socks nothing dries quickly...

GoreTex raingear with hood can get very heavy in aquaceros(downpours)

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
21 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shoe wear? Clothing for rain?

We bought Saloman Techamphibians for our trip to Costa Rica in June. I think the Keens are similar. They were perfect -- lightweight, cool, enough support, and kept the little bugs off your feet but didn't get soaked and they dried quickly. Throughout our trip we saw people trying to dry their sneakers which had gotten wet and it just wasn't happening -- too much humidity for them to dry out.

8. Re: Shoe wear? Clothing for rain?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2011, 05:18