We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iPhone 4 as GPS (only) in CR?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
iPhone 4 as GPS (only) in CR?

I was thinking of just using my iPhone 4 as GPS in the CR... but wanted to make sure this would work. Has anyone else done it? I would prefer not to bring the phone if it turns out it doesn't work.

THANKS!

m

Boston...
Level Contributor
904 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: iPhone 4 as GPS (only) in CR?

What app are you going to use?

San Diego, CA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: iPhone 4 as GPS (only) in CR?

Although you can use the iphone as a GPS, the map program needs to download data to physically display the map - so you'd have to rely on wireless internet for that or pay for the data roaming charges. The GPS can show your coordinates but without downloading the map, it would just appear as a big grey grid.

Unless you can find a map program that you can download with a full detail map of costa rica.

Good luck.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,765 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: iPhone 4 as GPS (only) in CR?

For mapping downloding issues you may contact...www.navsatcr.com

Or contact by phone;(506) 8325-'3417 ask fro Karla also at (506) 2205'1400

roadadvisor

London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: iPhone 4 as GPS (only) in CR?

Now there's a GPS App for Costa Rica on iTunes (iGO My way 2010).

The only problem is with a price tag of $59 it will only be worth it if you're planning on renting a GPS for over 7 days (at $8 p/day)

intomobile.com/2011/…

…apple.com/us/…

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,765 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: iPhone 4 as GPS (only) in CR?

If you have the local mapping that will be great...without the local mapping I think is not very good idea...check...www.navsat.com

roadadvisor

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: iPhone 4 as GPS (only) in CR?

I couldn't use it on my old 2G phone with a ICE SIM card, you can get mapping from a wifi spot, but that was pretty much it.

Tallinn, Estonia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: iPhone 4 as GPS (only) in CR?

Did it work? I mean did you just use GPS map from iPhone and it worked correctly while in Costa Rica?

Connecticut, USA
Level Contributor
514 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: iPhone 4 as GPS (only) in CR?

I think you would need to purchase the data plan. If I recall, I think it was $99 for something close to 300 MB.

Also, assuming you have the ATT version of iPhone and not the Verizon as Verizon does not include GSM and therefore cannot use outside the US.

We paid $10/day to rent the GPS from the car rental company. Money well-spent. I find the Tom Tom GPS app annoying in the US. Wouldn't want to rely on cell signals for directions.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: iPhone 4 as GPS (only) in CR?

On the same topic. We are looking into getting a new droid 3 from verizon so we can buy a local sim card ( didn't know you could even do that until I read about it on this forum)

Still sounds like google maps won't work for gps. We are not renting a car we are using the car at the house we are staying. We have a magellan at home. Does anyone know if that will work in costa rica?

Or is there a place we can just rent a gps?

Thanks

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: iPhone 4 as GPS (only) in CR?

You can rent a gps with any car rental, your iphone will not work in CR unless you buy a international plan from your carrier, or if you phone is unlocked and you buy a data plan from ICE(CR phone company)