Walked to town to have breakfast at one of the local sodas this morning and while reading the newspaper, came across some things that might interest visitors to Costa Rica.
1. Credomatic is sponsoring a series of concerts, not only in San Jose but at "upscale" hotels around the country, including Si Como No, Punta Islita, Montana de Fuego, among about 15 or so others. For more information, you can look here: credomatic.com/costarica/…fim20_sedes.html
2. Volunteers are working to clean up a large area of the Rio Tiribi, close to the town of Tres Rios, east of San Jose. Conservation projects and clean-ups like this go on all the time. A local youth organization where I live has grown and planted almost 10,000 trees in my area.
3. An article about a young man who had just received a cochlear implant (through the public hospital) and how it felt to be able to hear. Good example of excellent health care services in Costa Rica.
4. A couple of articles about traffic problems. On the highway between San Jose and the airport earlier this week, there was a horrendous bus accident which closed the highway for several hours (people detoured around it) and ongoing problems with one of the bridges as well. Also there are still problems with the new Caldera highway. Be sure to check if you are planning on using this highway. These kinds of traffic problems point out why it is not always possible to just "zip" to your destination or to the airport and why many of us recommend staying near the airport the night before your flight. Sometimes it is a quick trip; sometimes not.
5. There is a big Adventure Race in Costa Rica today with participants from many countries. It will start Arenal, go to Monteverde and then to Guanacaste. The exact route is being kept secret but it will involve biking, hiking, swimming and kayaking. Maybe some of you in Costa Rica will see part of it. Sounds a lot like vacation planning!