We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White water rafting....

clearwater, fl
4 posts
Save Topic
White water rafting....

Hello!

I'm almost done with my plans but need some opinions please.

I need to get back to San Jose for a flight at 12 pm and I will be staying in Arenal.

I am planning on going white water rafting...so here are some options for me that I need help deciding...

Have a tour company pick me up at 5am in Arenal to go white water rafting on the Pacuare river then drop me off in San Jose that evening to make my flight the next morning. There is just a small fee for the extra pickup in Arenal. Is it really worth the extra drive and early wake up time for this river?

or

Go white water rafting in Arenal in either the River Toro or Balsa with a 8am pick up and have the tour company drop me off in San Jose that evening.

Also, how has the weather been this week? Lots of rain in Arenal?

Thanks

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White water rafting....

Go to Pacuare...not even with all the Arenal rivers combined you will have such a great rafting as the one in PACUARE...worth it every penny...just common sense...plenty water during this time of the year!

roadadvisor from Costa Rica and IN COSTA RICA

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,819 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White water rafting....

I agree Pacuare is the best and most technical river in Costa Rica.

Cheers

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White water rafting....

www.rioastropicales.com

Pacuare so worth it...

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White water rafting....

Exploradores Outdoors offers a Pacuare river rafting tour where transportation from Arenal to San Jose is included, no extra fees it's : $99 per person.

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villaroro

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
33 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White water rafting....

Hi,

Pacuare is also for beginners ?

which company is most reliable on that river ?

Thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: White water rafting....

Pacuare is a good river for almost any body...River rafting companies like Rios Tropicales that have had running the river for so many years, they already have great safety protocols...that are mandated by the ICT...that is one of the main reason to deal with a rafting company that is supervised and aproved by ICT....

Aventuras Naturales is another good company and many years running our rivers.

roadadvisor from Costa Rica and IN COSTA RICA

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
33 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: White water rafting....

Hi,

If you had to choose from all CR, Pacura will be the one ?

If I'm with a car, can i spare the San Jose and come straight to start location ?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: White water rafting....

If I have to choose YES...Pacuare will be the one...

You can do that...but take in cosideration that the Put In is in Turrialba...and the take out by Siquirres about 1 hour and half away from each other...tthat means that if you leave your car in Turrialba you have to drive back from Siquirres to Turrialba to get the car...

roadadvisor

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: White water rafting....

If you want to run the Pacuare from Arenal, don't pay the extra fee, Exploradores

Outdoors will pick you up at Arenal and drop off in San Jose area hotel. Great rafting company with good safety record.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: White water rafting....

The Pacuare is awesome and good for beginners and experts alike. Guides keep everyone safe. Just listen and follow their instructions on how and when to paddle and have a great time! You can strap a waterproof disposable camera to the strap on the front of your life jacket to get some of your own pics. They also offer a CD at the end of each trip but can be expensive. I think they were charging $30-40 for pics of all the rafts that day, but when I said I only wanted pics of our raft and couldn't afford full price they gave it to me for $10. When it came in the mail it included all of them. Have fun!