We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

surf camp/lesson suggestions, other things to do in october

seattle
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
surf camp/lesson suggestions, other things to do in october

i decided to go to costa rica as a plan b the first two weeks of october after postponing a trip to turkey. yes, i know, i'm going during the rainiest month...poor choice on my part, but what can you do at this point.

i am wondering if anyone has specific recommendations on surf camps or lessons on either the pacific or caribbean side. i've heard conflicting things about which coast is better and have heard that sticking as far north is best weather wise at this time of year - does the weather affect surfing conditions much? i would like to avoid terribly touristy areas, but realize that most surf camp locations are probably in tourist spots (might not matter as much considering the low season). i'd like to find something more budget friendly, meaning a hostel/lesson combo is more likely, but if there's a particularly stellar surf camp out there i'd be willing to spend a bit more.

additionally i'm curious as to suggestions for other things to do because i can't imagine i'll be doing the surfing thing for longer than a week.

many thanks in advance and happy traveling.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: surf camp/lesson suggestions, other things to do in october

Tamarindo Beach is on the northwestern coast and has a highly regarded camp called Witch's Rock Surf Camp - fun place! Also, you can stay anywhere and just walk around as there are many surf shops with instructors. Tamarindo is the Learn to Surf place in Costa Rica

First two-week of October would not be my pick on the west coast of Costa Rica for surf lessons. While Tamarindo Beach has the driest climate on the West Coast, it is the middle of the rainy season. Maybe someone else can help on the conditions on the east coast.

When it rains the water is not as clear and often turns brown due to the muddy run-off. Also, the winds can cause a choppy condition. However, sometimes, especially in the morning, the surf can be great. But, the odds drop during the rainy season.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: surf camp/lesson suggestions, other things to do in october

www.pointbreaksurf.com

www.papagsurf.com

best in CR lots to do but some rain there

www.servicecarrental.com my fav shuttle bus if budget tight

www.arenal.net

www.manuelantoniopark.com

top 2 for adventures www.desafiocostarica.com

If you have not locked in your flights

Peru in SA for better weather in October cheap flights FLL LIM

on www.spiritair.com

www.vivamancora.com great surfing

You could also do the Galapagos maybe the Inka Trail

pretty amazing good nature in the jungles there...

Usually where I go in CR rainy season...

Have fun,

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: surf camp/lesson suggestions, other things to do in october

The Caribbean side of the country usually offers its best weather and season in October, as opposite to the rest of the country. You can expect less rains at this time of the year in the Caribbean. Based on that, I would go with a Caribbean vacation. We would need to ask our Limon, Cahuita or Puerto Viejo experts about a surf camp or lessons in the area. Salsa Brava Surf, maybe? Have a great time!

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: surf camp/lesson suggestions, other things to do in october

You can combine your Caribbean surfing experience with Tortuguero National park for a couple of days of nature, you might still even get a chance to see some of the green turtles coming in to nest in the beach, and then continue to Arenal Volcano. Depending on how long you plan to surf/stay at the beach, you can even continue from Arenal to Tamarindo for some Pacific side surfing - in spite of the rain!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,257 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: surf camp/lesson suggestions, other things to do in october

Agree with crpuravida...the Caribbean...and many good places to stay...good deals...good location...and the Caribbean is fun!

roadadvisor

6. Re: surf camp/lesson suggestions, other things to do in october

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2011, 05:17