Hi, I'm just starting to plan my trip to with 3 adults total for 2 weeks.
We want to see/do the following so far:
Turtles, volcanoes, tortuguero, hotsprings, cloud forest, canyoning, zipline, beach, some snorkeling, beginner scuba, sloths
Absolute musts for us are the turtles and volcanoes. Specifically, I want to see both turtles hatching and the arribadas at their greatest. With the volcanoes, I want to be able to see Arenal erupting and Poas on a day when clouds don't cover it up.
1. When should I take my two week trip? What things will I not be able to do or will see less of cause I picked this 2 week time frame (I assume some sacrifices will have to be made for turtles and volcanoes)
2. I was thinking I wouldn't book any hotels ahead of time (though I would need to book my flight months in advance) so that I have more flexibility in terms of which area to be in (so if weather is right in Arenal for viewing I could be there at that time or I could stay in the area longer if I hadn't see the eruption yet). Would this really increase my odds of seeing Arenal erupt?
3. What are the odds of seeing the turtles hatching and the arribadas?
4. Any other ideas for maximizing my chances of seeing the poas, arenal erupting, and turtle arribadas and hatching?
5. Am I missing any other must do activities? We like unique things we can't see/do elsewhere and also adventure activities.
Thanks a lot. I realize I asked a lot of questions so if you don't know the answers to all of the above, I would be more than happy to hear answers to just some of my questions.