We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Palms Playa Flamingo

I am staying at Palms Playa Flamingo next March. Can anyone give me info on this place and the area. It looks great! How is the ocean for swimming and snorkeling in front of this complex.

Thank you.

maryland
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Palms Playa Flamingo

The Palms is very nice and right on the beach. It sits on a long stretch of beach that is great for swimming and boogie boarding. It is a little rough for snorkeling but a short drive away is Conchal Beach which does offer decent snorkeling. You will be with in walking distance of everything the town of Flamingo has to offer. It is a nice little town with great restaurants and is centrally located if you decide to take any tours.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Palms Playa Flamingo

Never stayed there, but visited a friend. It's beautiful and often doesn't have many guests - kind of a secret place. For the best snorkeling take a sailing cruise out of Flamingo.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,474 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palms Playa Flamingo

Also agree I have some friends staying there...and it was nice...very nice..not a beach for snorkeling...

roadadvsior

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Palms Playa Flamingo

Can you snorkel at all there? Is there any snorkeling within walking distance or do you have to get in the car and go somewhere else? I would like to take a sailing trip to snorkel one day, but also would like to be able to go right from the beach I am staying at. I was told by the travel arranger that it was a good place to snorkel. How is the swimming? Is the water clear? We are really beach people and do spend most of each day on the beach and in the ocean. Thanks for all your info. Appreciate it since I have never been to CR before.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Palms Playa Flamingo

Flamingo Beach is actually a small peninsula and you'd be on the south side. I was just there walking on the beach and the surf was big and there was even surfing going on! Looks like its one of those secret places that gets good a few times each year.

I'd imagine if the surf was normal or small, just south of your place a few hundred yards, at the sheltered rocky point there'd be snorkeling. Just remember, it's not like the Caribbean.

Yes, there are several other snorkeling places at Flamingo Beach within walking distance (up and down steep paved roads) and you should find snorkeling when the water is clear. Careful, careful with the ocean currents, some of the places are more protected from ocean swells than others. Some days can be good, some days you can't see anything.

Sorry, don't know any specific person to talk to. Maybe someone else can help out. Maybe a fisherman?

Much prefer the sailboats where the captain have more experience and talk with other boats on the radios about the best places on any given day.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
245 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palms Playa Flamingo

We have also reserved a condo at The Palms for next February as part of our family vacation. It looks great ...can't wait!

San Isidro del...
Level Contributor
938 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Palms Playa Flamingo

I took a sailboat snorkeling trip out of Flamingo a couple of years ago. It was a beautiful sail and the water and beach that he took us to were absolutely beautiful. That said, we didn't see so much as a minnow. We enjoyed the sunset on the way back so it was worth it.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Palms Playa Flamingo

Strange? I've been dozens of time and saw fish each time. I do always snorkel with the guided groups though.

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Palms Playa Flamingo

Thanks for the info! We will enjoy the sailboat trip to an island to snorkel. Tortuga island does look beautiful. We are close to Conchal beach so we will try to snorkel there too. If the water is calm we will try near our condo by the rocks suggested.

Anyone had experience whale and dolphin watching. I wonder if there are trips to to that?

Also want to do deep sea fishing. Haven't for years and it sounds like that is very good off flamingo?

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Palms Playa Flamingo

Here are some people with a general purpose boat working out of that area. Actually, they do snorkeling tours and deep sea fishing - fun people, not too expensive.

http://www.site.elcapitancostarica.com/