We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it ever ok to feed the monkeys?

Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is it ever ok to feed the monkeys?

There is a tour down by Isla Damas. They are a very nice Tico family that runs it, the guides are very knowledgeable about the mangroves and all the animals and plants there. One thing I have heard some object to is their feeding small amounts of fruit to the monkeys, thus they climb all over the pontoon boat. Obviously there is not enough boat tour traffic to feed the monkeys a lot, but would very much like to hear the opinions from some of our experts on here.

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it ever ok to feed the monkeys?

I refer to the top questions about Costa Rica (on the right hand side of the screen, next to your thread), the first one is about exactly this, it will give all the answers you need

Edited: 11 October 2010, 17:35
Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it ever ok to feed the monkeys?

Thanks, I had read that. Just wanted to see if there were possibly any exceptions. For me personally, when it comes to questions nature, I err on the side of caution....

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it ever ok to feed the monkeys?

Not nice or good at all for the monkies...to feed them...

roadadvisor

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it ever ok to feed the monkeys?

I agree with everyone above. Feeding monkeys is never acceptable.

Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it ever ok to feed the monkeys?

Well then, as nice as the family is, I won't recommend the tour anymore in the future to friends visiting...

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it ever ok to feed the monkeys?

You know how it is, that one time is not a problem but it never stays one time. I also realise that it's very tempting and cute to see them all around you but to control is impossible which leads to...better not. I have seen people with monkey bites and it's not funny.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it ever ok to feed the monkeys?

To feed, or not to feed, that is the question...

I agree with not feeding the monkeys 100%, BUT I have found myself in the position before of not having a choice.

I remember hiking once here with my wife in the rainforest. We were by all accounts alone, no people, no VISIBLE monkeys. We decided to stop for a fruit snack. Within minutes we were literally surrounded by Capuchins wanting our fruit. They were baring their teeth (they have big teeth by the way!) and made it very clear their intentions. "Hand over the fruit, and there won't be any trouble" is the message I got from them.

Under the circumstances I obliged and got the hell out of there. This precise encounter was brought on in my mind by the fact that these little guys were already well aware of the fact that they COULD get food out of there primate cousins. Not Good.

My advice, NEVER feed the monkeys unless you feel you have no choice in the matter, like I felt in my story. Between a small piece of banana or keeping all my digits, I think I made the right call.

Cheers

Inca

Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it ever ok to feed the monkeys?

Held up by monkeys! That is definitely a new one. And like you said, probably monkeys that have become conditioned due to tourists feeding monkeys.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it ever ok to feed the monkeys?

Great story Incabod!

In any other circumstances no, it's never ok to feed a monkey (or any other wild animal for that matter). This can be hard due to peer pressure or guides that make you feel like it's ok. Or even rental properties and hotels where food is offered by the owners. Don't be a joiner.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it ever ok to feed the monkeys?

Yeah, don't feed monkeys and avoid tour operators with a reputation for feeding monkeys.