We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of Four, know zero about CR

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
291 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Family of Four, know zero about CR

Hello - I had a trip to Hawaii more or less scuttled by the United/Continental merger and now am considering new locations that may be less expensive. If we fly into San Jose, what are the best locations for a family with a 9yr and 5yr old who like pools, beach, general exploring? Thinking 2BR villa or hotel on beach. Want to be relatively close to some variety of food choices, probably not going to surf. Goals are fun, exploration, and relaxation. Thanks for any suggestions. Budget is up to $2000 for a week for the hotel, assuming I rent a car, and food and activities around $1000.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of Four, know zero about CR

Please spend some time doing some research. What is a good vacation for me might be horrible for you and vice versa. People on this forum will tell you of the most popular places or places that they liked but there is no substitute for doing your own research for your own trip for your own family.

Start here: www.govisitcostarica.com

There are also good guidebooks available, the best probably the Moon book and the New Key to Costa Rica.

Edited: 06 November 2010, 15:21
Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Family of Four, know zero about CR

Good advice from Hattie... Plenty of budget for a great time. Tamarindo is a good option. Here is an Orientation Link to help you get started researching.

tamarindocosta-rica.com/tamarindo-costa-rica…

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family of Four, know zero about CR

once you've decided on an area, click on the hotels link on the l3eft of the page. you can then narrow the choices by price to suit your budget. good food is everywhere in cr. i mostly eat at sodas (small restaurants) because the price is right and usually is as good as any big restaurant.

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family of Four, know zero about CR

What time of the year are you planning to visit CR? and for how many days?

Your budget of $2000 can be used up quickly during high season and also depending on your hotel, villa, or boutique and B & B accommodation.

I am not a travel agent.. just a traveler on this forum that makes suggestions to those who post, just my 2 cents. I would say Manuel Antonio for variety of wildlife and proximity to beach and easy side trips to other locations.

But please do take the time to research places and activities to enjoy your vacation made by your decisions.

Edited: 06 November 2010, 17:00
Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family of Four, know zero about CR

I second Hattie's advice, another good guide is Frommers.

If you are interested in the Caribbean coast you could check www.puertoviejosatellite.com.

When you are planning to visit may determine where you should go, good weather in a certain place could be bad weather someplace else.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
291 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family of Four, know zero about CR

Thank you for the website. Certainly I will do a great deal of research but starting at zero was looking for ideas as a place to begin. Thanks for that and any other suggestions on specific locations would be appreciates.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family of Four, know zero about CR

Consider renting a house in Ojochal (and a 4x4 to go with it). VRBO and Flipkey have listings. There are beautiful homes with pools well within your budget. Ojochal has a great reputation for dining, which I"m betting it deserves given its French Canadian heritage. Haven't been there yet, will be for the second week of our family vacation next summer, having selected Ojochal based on criteria similar to those you state.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family of Four, know zero about CR

You can do a very popular itineary...

San Jose...Arenal..

Arenal by jeep..boat...jeep to Monteverde Cloud Forest...

Monteverde to Manuel Antonio National Park...nice park and beaches...a lot of wild life!

roadadvisor

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
291 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family of Four, know zero about CR

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will begin researching all of this. What is considered 'high' season? We are going (most likely) at the end of May or have flexibility to go during the summer. I know in St John, one of our favorite spots on the planet, this is low season, but know this varies greatly.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,879 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family of Four, know zero about CR

High season runs from Christmas week or mid December through Easter Week. May, June July, all great times to visit.

Cheers

Inca