We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caravan Tour - recommend sometplace for before or after?

KNOXVILLE
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Topic
Caravan Tour - recommend sometplace for before or after?

Caravan gets high marks and we are looking at end of Jan. Paradise tour - I understand this is a structured budget group. We are considering heading down 3-4 days before or after and taking in whatever the tour misses, possibly a luxury spot? We like eco-tours and birds, fauna,

any recommendations that would put us less than a days travel from Caravan's meet up spot?

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,944 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caravan Tour - recommend sometplace for before or after?

Where is the Caravan meet spot? San Jose, Alajuela, Liberia?

KNOXVILLE
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Caravan Tour - recommend sometplace for before or after?

San Jose - downtown

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,944 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caravan Tour - recommend sometplace for before or after?

Also where does that tour take you? don't want to go somewhere you already visited.

within 4 hours of San Jose you have a lot of choices, from Dominical on up the Pacific coast to Puntarenas (Manuel Antonio, Jaco, Heradurra) is all doable, Montezuma and Mal Pais in Nicoya, doable.

Tell us where the Caravan tour takes you.

Cheers

KNOXVILLE
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Caravan Tour - recommend sometplace for before or after?

Caravan circles Poas Volcano, Tortuguero Park, Arenal Volcano, Guancaste, Tarcoles River, then back.

doesn't go near Manuel Antonio so I'm thinking to jump a small plane down there for a few days?

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,944 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caravan Tour - recommend sometplace for before or after?

I think Manuel Antonio is a good idea, I wouldn't waste money on a flight, just a bit more than 3 hours by ground. Nice drive and a great way to see the country, get a private driver will be cheaper than flying and you can make stops on the way.

Cheers

Inca

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caravan Tour - recommend sometplace for before or after?

Manuel Antonio is a great choice...many good places to stay...Buena Vista Villas and Casas...Tulemar bungalows...Issimo...Si Como No...Mariposa...GAIA...

roadadvisor

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caravan Tour - recommend sometplace for before or after?

Agree, Manuel Antonio. Surprised it is not on the tour as it's one of the most popular beaches in the Country.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Caravan Tour - recommend sometplace for before or after?

I'm also doing the caravan tour and have 5 nights to spare before my flight back and must go to Manuel Antonio. I'm going to be taking the shared shuttle service - $38 to Manuale Antonio hotels. You may want to look into the shared shuttle. I was amazed once I discovered it from this forum.

KNOXVILLE
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Caravan Tour - recommend sometplace for before or after?

Lesa we are most likely on the Jan 26 tour, You? looks like we will go to MA afterwards for 3 nights, maybe 4. looking at hotels now. reviews for Gaia seem to indicate it is not living up to it's hype lately? also looking at SUU or Parador, any suggestions? husband saying 3 nights but I don't think I can get everything done in just 2 days (one day being mostly travel)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Caravan Tour - recommend sometplace for before or after?

I'm hoping to go on my tour March 1st or 8th. Haven't booked it yet but I'm going to tommorrow.

It's 3.5 hours aprx. if you take the shared shuttle. It leaves san jose around 8 or 1:30 . I haven't seen the hotels your looking at but from your post you said your looking for more luxury..I'm more focused on the monkeys...LOL