We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days in CR Tamarindo or MA

The Great US
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
6 days in CR Tamarindo or MA

First trip and learning much here on TA. 2 families and Grandma are planning on seeing Arenal then going to Tamarindo or MA. I am wondering is that the best for us. We want to swim/fish/eat/zipline/relax.

My itinerary:

Should we fly into SJ or Liberia

Spend the night in town of aiport we land at

Go to Arenal for 2 days

Head to Tamarindo or MA? 4 days

Return to the departing city and spend the night.

Planning on renting a 4X4. Are Suburbans available if so are they pricey?

Thanks for your help. Also recommendations on lodging will be appreciated

Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days in CR Tamarindo or MA

You won't go wrong either way. Tamarindo offers more surfing than MA in general, if that is a consideration. You will be able to find good fishing in both areas. One advantage I will give to Tamarindo. There are quite a few nice surrounding beaches to visit if you have a car. MA has the national park.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days in CR Tamarindo or MA

Jako said it just right. How many in your group? You planning on staying in a hotel or vacation rental?

The Great US
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days in CR Tamarindo or MA

We have 2 families with 3 each and Grandma. I have been leaning towards Tamarindo but wanted confirmation. Thanks for everyones help.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,644 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 days in CR Tamarindo or MA

Mark if you fly into LIR...TAmarindo is your place not doubt it...

If you fly into SJO...Manuel Antonio...

At the two places you can find almost every thing you are looking for...

Suburvans I have not see any body that is renting them...you can try with Budget...Alamo...Toyota...they offer a great Toyota Hiace...that is a great van for you guys...you do not need a 4x4...a Toyota Prado 4x4 good for 7 passengers...but very limited on luggage space...and yes again any big 4x4 are expensive...very expensive..

roadadvisor

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 days in CR Tamarindo or MA

I would focus planning time more on learning more about the towns. The driving times for the routes are similar.

San Jose - Arenal - 3.5 hours

Arenal - Tamarindo - 5 hours

Tamarindo to San Jose - 4 hours

Total 12.5 hours

San Jose - Arenal - 3.5 hours

Arenal - Manuel Antonio - 6 hours

Manuel Antonio to San Jose - 3 hours

Total 12.5 hours

I'm not a professional driver, but those are my driving times. They are also more or less match what the rental car companies post on their web sites. Here is a link with a driving time chart.

tamarindocosta-rica.com/tamarindo/travel/ren…

I live in Tamarindo and Manuel Antonio is one of my favorite places. It is closer to San Jose and therefore has more people, but does have beautiful beaches, etc.

Which way are you leaning on the accommodations? Three-bedroom condo, mid-sized villa, hotel, all-inclusive?

Edited: 25 December 2010, 22:25
The Great US
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 days in CR Tamarindo or MA

Accomodations-- I have read awesome reviews anout Richard and the Arco Iris. Actually that was one reason I was leaning towards Tamarindo. I really am looking at the basics. Moderate prices. Clean rooms. Nice facilities and lots of activities for short day trips. I guess I am learning the beach in MA is more pristine but surfing is not an option. I do want some jungle excursions as well.

thanks for the help

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 days in CR Tamarindo or MA

I won't say the beaches of Manuel Antonio are more pristine. After all, it is closer to San Jose... more people. However, the beach is certainly beautiful... more rocky cliffs and big trees.

Arco Iris, yes a nice hotel, easy walking distance to the beach. Pool-side is one of Tamarindo's best restaurants... Seasons. Great food and not priced too high! Arco Iris and Seasons... Great choices!

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
616 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 days in CR Tamarindo or MA

I would say Manuel Antonio...by far esp. if you want to see more of the jungle, do tours and hiking and things. The waterfall repelling is great and they have guest houses where you can stay in the middle of the jungle if you wanted. Basic but if you want to really experience the jungle that is the way to do it.

I think it is nicer and better if you taking your grandmother. The beaches in the inside the state park are the BEST!

I have my video of both

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW8KdX6gbSw

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum

you tube both you will find enough videos.

in our video we were visiting Arco Iris and it is a nice property but we decided on Daria it was on the beach and much more of a nicer hotel but if cost is the main factor Arco Iris is a great value and about a 4 block walk down to the beach.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 days in CR Tamarindo or MA

Nice thread... it needed to happen. it's bringing out the real differences between the two towns. Just a little correction, I think surfcali meant to say Diria Hotel, not the Daria.

Tamarindo is a nice change-up from the jungles, tours and hiking of Arenal. What many seniors and others like is that the terrain is mostly flat. So it's easy to take walks or jog, either on the beach or the road. Sounds like a simple thing, but for many, including me, it's important. Some cannot handle walking or jogging on the steep roads of Manuel Antonio.

Once in Tamarindo there are all kinds of nearby jungle tours, jeep tours, hiking, and canopy tours available. However, the real experience is the change of pace from the rain forest of Arenal or Rincon de la Vieja and just dropping into a beach community, relaxing on the beach and enjoying the great restaurants. Tamarindo does have its share of tourist, but less than Manuel Antonio.

Here is a nice collection of videos about Tamarindo

www.famouspoints.com/index.php…

Your families would enjoy either place.

Edited: 26 December 2010, 00:34
10. Re: 6 days in CR Tamarindo or MA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2011, 05:17