We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I get a can of Fix-a-Flat and travel with it in my car?

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Can I get a can of Fix-a-Flat and travel with it in my car?

My wife and I will be renting a car and we will feel more safe if we have a small can of pressurized tire sealant ("fix-a-flat" brand or equivalent) with us while in Costa Rica. I think airline/FAA rules prohibit carrying one from the US even in checked baggage. Any advice on where to easily procure same in CR would be helpful.

Those still responding on the similar thread re handguns do realize that the OP's on that thread are already in CR, presumably unarmed, right?

Edited: 31 December 2010, 16:18
Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I get a can of Fix-a-Flat and travel with it in my car?

I have bought them before at various hardware stores. Also, there are tons of small stores that sell items, parts and supplies for cars. That would be a great item for rental companies to include in rental cars.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I get a can of Fix-a-Flat and travel with it in my car?

Thanks. I think I'll email my prospective car rental agency and ask them if they'll supply one at cost plus a handling fee. Others concerned about the "flat tire scam" might consider expending their keystrokes on same instead of debating personal-armaments policies.

Edited: 31 December 2010, 16:35
Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I get a can of Fix-a-Flat and travel with it in my car?

Good idea tfc! Trade in your can of whoopass for a can of fix-a-flat. I know what fluids I'll be procuring first when I get there - imperial then f-a-f

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
290 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I get a can of Fix-a-Flat and travel with it in my car?

We stopped at a larger mercado and picked up a can. Always a good idea to have a can with you. Even if you don't use it, you are only out less than 10 bucks.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I get a can of Fix-a-Flat and travel with it in my car?

I always keep a can of Fix a Flat in my car. You can buy it at almost any grocery store of any size, a hardware store or auto supply store. No need to bring it.

If you are staying in Alajuela or San Jose your first night in town, no problem. If you are heading somewhere else, just stop at the first store you see that fits the above.

Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I get a can of Fix-a-Flat and travel with it in my car?

Here's an idea. If you buy one and don't use it, pass it along to another renter when you return the car.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I get a can of Fix-a-Flat and travel with it in my car?

I plan to do just that.

But really, this would be most efficiently handled through the car rental firms. I think I'll let this thread grow for a while and then point it out to the one I'm using. No reason this can't be a source of reasonable profit for them and value to customers -- much as GPS already is.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I get a can of Fix-a-Flat and travel with it in my car?

Great idea to have in your car in Costa Rica.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I get a can of Fix-a-Flat and travel with it in my car?

There you go, tiltedflipcurves, trying to change how things are done in Costa Rica. Sigh. When will NorthAmericans ever learn.

Why don't you just make life simple and buy yourself a can?

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I get a can of Fix-a-Flat and travel with it in my car?

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why...

I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?"

--Robert Kennedy

Ok, that's a little over the top for a tire puncture issue, but what's wrong with a little idealism?