We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car in CR

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car in CR

We will be driving from SJO to Arenal, to Turrialba and 3 days @Puerto Viejo (Cariblue) and back to SJO in late March.

Which car rental companies do you REALLY recommend? Seems I read to stay away from Economy & Thrifty? Berni @ Pura Vida recommends Toyota Car Rental?

I read somewhere that we need to keep an eye on the car at all times? True or not true? We want to spend time at Punta Uva and Manzanillo, will the car be safe there? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,559 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car in CR

All you need is common sense...and be extra carefull where you park your car...do not leave anything inside of the car...

Dealt with the big guys...Toyota...Budget...Alamo..Avis..Hertz...Dollar...

Yes stay as far as you can from Economy...and also small mom and pop rent a cars...most of the time you rent a car and a headache..

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car in CR

It's the same as if you park your car in a mall parking lot or at the beaches in Hawaii...don't leave things in site that may tempt people (laptop, camera, luggage). If you're traveling around and have to have your luggage with you (drop it off at your hotel if you're there early) then yes, I'd say try to park it where you can either see it or it's right in front of a busy restaurant.

Make sure you know what the basic signs in Spanish mean (No Hay Paso, etc) and rent a GPS with whatever car agency you go with! :-)

Wendy at the Villa Hermosa, La Fortuna, CR

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car in CR

National Car Rental usually treats me well. Their employees are very nice and speak English and their rates are fair. https://www.nationalcar.com/

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car in CR

Great advise by Villa Hermosa, just like back home. Don't leave any valuables in plain site, and you should be fine in the Caribe Sur.

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car in CR

Service rental agency treated us very well. They had the car waiting for us at the airport. They spoke great English. They showed us how to get started on the way to Arenal. They were their at the airport waiting to pick up the car. They didn't give us a hard time about little dings and such, and they were very patient with me and my pidgin Spanish. Kenneth, our agent, even gave us his cell number just in case something came up. Luckily we had no trouble at all.

Liberia, Costa Rica
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car in CR

I have heard good things about Poas and Service rent a car.The rates in high season are about the same. I agree with the other advisors, leaving things in the car could get you in trouble easily so use your common sense.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
290 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a car in CR

We used service on our last trip and they were great. We are using them again when we return in a few months. They were cheaper for us and we had absolutely no problems. I would recommend them.

8. Re: Renting a car in CR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2012, 12:16