We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive Times

Dallas, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Drive Times

Need some help on drive times.

We will be leaving Arenal around 10 am in March and I want to get into Monteverde cloud forest reserve for a 1:30 hike. Want to do a night hike same day. Planning on doing Selvatura Park the next day and heading out for Manuel Antonio around 4 PM.

Is this possible or am I being too ambitious/reckless. Obviously want to drive safe. We will have a 4 wheel drive if that matters.

On a side note, should I buy tickets for the Selvatura zip line and bridges in advance or are tickets readily available when you show up at the park.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Nabeel

Naturalist Michael Araya Flores
National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Forests
Rio savegre Waterfall
Bodies of Water, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Hiking Trails, Forests, Waterfalls
Parque National Los Quetzales
Mountains, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Hiking Trails, Forests
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive Times

Probably too ambitious, given the amount of time it takes to get around that area.

Look here: www.yourtravelmap.com

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive Times

I'd recommend at least an extra hour for the first journey.

Much easier and safer to do the second journey in the daytime. I'd recommend leaving after lunch to try to get to Manuel Antonio before dark.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive Times

It will take you a good 4 hours to drive from La Fortuna to Monteverde and it's an exhausting trip because the last hour on that road is super bumpy. I would suggest you do your night hike that night and then do an early am hike the next day.

Hope that helps a bit!

Wendy

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive Times

No problema from Arenal to Monteverde no more than 3 hours...no less that 2...I drive around there all the time...I drove it today...and the road from Arenal to Tilaran around the lake is great and good shape...from Tilaran to Santa Elena just drive slow...not a big deal...and with a 4x4 even better...no more than 3 hours...

roadadvisor

5. Re: Drive Times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2012, 05:19