We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica vacation

Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Costa Rica vacation

We are thinking of going to Costa Rica and are wondering what area of costa rica is best for great beaches and shopping on the pacific side.. do we fly into san jose to get there and how do we get there..rental car or shuttle or ???

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Rica vacation

The areas best fitting your description would be the northern and central coasts. The northern one is best accessed through the international airports in San Jose or Liberia; the central one through San Jose.

None of the beach towns has the shopping of say, Panama. However, there are many cute shops. What kind of shopping did you have in mind?

For transportation, my preference would be to take a shuttle bus and only rent a car when and if I feel like it.

Here is an travel and general orientation link to Tamarindo Beach. Hope it helps.

tamarindocosta-rica.com/tamarindo/travel.html

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Rica vacation

You mght also want to look at Samara. Very nice little town and easy to navigate on foot. Great swimming beach and fun shopping.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,187 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa Rica vacation

If you fly into SJO tghe best area is Manuel Antonio...only 3 hours away...great park alot of wildlife...nice hotels...good food...a lot of soft adventure tours...

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Costa Rica vacation

I'd say a lot has to do with where you fly into. As Roadadvisor said, If you fly into San Jose, Manuel Antonio is your best bet for beautiful beaches, shopping and restaurants/bars.

If you fly into Liberia, consider Tamarindo, Playa Grande or Flamingo. Additionally, the beaches along the Gulf of Papagayo are just as nice.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,060 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Costa Rica vacation

Agree with the above post 100%

Uniontown, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Costa Rica vacation

I highly suggest Manuel Antonio. Great beaches and lots of wild life. Quepos is a cool town to explore. I would rent a car from San Jose but definitely spend the extra $ in a GPS. There are no street signs so it is worth its weight in gold!!!!!!!!! I would also suggest not limiting your visit to the beach. I would go to Arenal Volcano area, La Fortuna is the city. Absolutely fabulous. Check GOTMYFARE for packages. They have great deals that include hotels, breakfast, airfare and a car. I would suggest the 8 day flex drive where you can pick where you want to stay and for how long, so if you don't like an area you can pick up an leave. We liked it so much we went twice within 2 months. Costa Rica is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Re: Costa Rica vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2012, 06:16