We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Isidro - Amazing city, safe, great food & people

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
132 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
San Isidro - Amazing city, safe, great food & people

Just came back from visiting: San Jose, La Fortuna, Santa Elena, Jaco, Domical, and San Isidro.

While it isn't a very popluar tourist destination because of the lack of tours, and activities I had the best time in San Isidro.

The town is incredibly safe - felt very safe walking home from a very late night out, with roaming police and security are always within eye shot. Never once felt uneasy, or felt the need to keep my wallet in the hotel.

San Isidro is 40 minutes east of Domical on a PAVED road, 3-31/2 hours south of San Jose along the Pan American.

I'm just so impressed by this city I had to write. Lots of shopping, eating out, saw a football game (SJ vs Perez) and went to the expo.

Easy to get around, while I did have a car, I noticed that taxis were easy to come by, busses are all over the place.

I can't say enough nice things about this place. This was the highlight of my visit. After all the prevous days of tours and visiting the beach, over paying for "hand made stuff" it was relief to visit a town that didnt have tourist roaming the streets. I really felt like I was part of the town.

And the truth about the best looking people come from San Isidro - it's the truth. I couldn't believe it. The women and the guys - of all ages are very easy on the eyes.

I do not speak any spanish and was afraid I would have a problem since San Isidro isn't a tourist place - but I was very surprised.

I was also surprised that with the number of people who have family and friends in New Jersey (my home state). And know the different towns that I have lived and or worked in.

Robert

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Isidro - Amazing city, safe, great food & people

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g309287-i2348-k409…

Sounds like that OP was right after all!

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
132 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Isidro - Amazing city, safe, great food & people

I read that before visiting... and I was thinking it what an odd post. However, time after time I was would be talking with someone in Isidro and it would come up that they have visited New Jersey and/or that they have family members there. While I didn't count women to men, I did notice that there were seemed to be more women.

The gene pool is very healthy there... lol

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Isidro - Amazing city, safe, great food & people

This is San Isidro de General (there are many, many San Isidro towns in Costa Rica). :-) We drove through it-we had originally intended on spending the night there but did not...we'll definitely make sure to spend some more time there next time we're in that area. Thanks for posting the great info!!!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Isidro - Amazing city, safe, great food & people

Thank you for such a positive post...nice to read it and great feelings...GRACIAS!

roadadvisor

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Isidro - Amazing city, safe, great food & people

All kidding aside, the strong migration connection between San Isidro and New Jersey (and particularly Bound Brook, NJ) has been the subject of a dissertation and is statistically documented. I see that the President of CR actually visited Bound Brook after at disastrous flood some years back. Links follow.

Contending subjectivities: Costa Rican migrant solidarity networks, social capital and governmentality in transnational spaces

by Caamano-Morua, Carmen, Ph.D., State University of New York at Albany, 2007, 564 pages; AAT 3293136

proquest.umi.com/pqdlink…

(Perez Zeledon = San Isidro de el General)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_Rican_American

www.disasternews.net/news/article.php…

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
132 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Isidro - Amazing city, safe, great food & people

Thanks for the links. Very interesting.

Yes! Bound Brook specifically, I have a shirt from a car repair shop that is in Bound Brook and I think thats what caught the locals attention to talk with me a little bit about their New Jersey connection.

Bound Brook is a pretty small town that really isnt known for much other than the strong immigrant population. Not a place I would normally use for a reference point to state where I live and work, but the people I talked with knew of it quite well.

It did flood as did many many other towns a few years ago, and it continues to flood before other towns if the rain total is high over a short period - but not nearly as sever as it use to. With all respect to the residents and business owners they state should really just create a park out of what continues to be a problem. Considering that a lot of local and state aid goes into cleaning up the mess every time it floods. - Just my opinion.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Isidro - Amazing city, safe, great food & people

I remember reading about a small rural town in Minnesota (?) whose population is now about half Hmong Vietnamese. Surprising clusters like that are surprisingly common, because once an early immigrant settles somewhere, others coming from their social network back home have a reason to choose that same area. Probably explains the concentration of French Canadians in Ojochal as well.

8. Re: San Isidro - Amazing city, safe, great food & people

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2012, 22:16