We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting From Here to There!!!!

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Getting From Here to There!!!!

We are excited about our trip to Costa Rica -- we will be leaving D.C. area on March 18th and staying in San Jose one night. Please advise best way to get to Arenal area -- we are staying at El Silencio del Camp for three nights -- can anyone suggest best way of getting there and then we will be going to the Monteverde area and staying at Hidden Canopy Trehouse Hotel for three nights -- from there we travel back to San Jose for an overnight and our return to the D.C. area. So...... please advise transportation to Arenal -- then Monteverde and then back to San Jose...thank you so much --

Also........what is weather like in March while we're there -- 3/18 - 3/26...............I'm hoping it is warm enough for just casual clothes -- don't want to overpack!!!!! .I can hardly wait!!!!!! Thank you, thank you.....Lainie66

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting From Here to There!!!!

Your transportation options to Arenal: fly, private driver, rent a car, shared van shuttle, public bus, more or less in order of expense. Each of these modes has its advantages and disadvantages but it really depends on your budget, etc. Renting a car for the Arenal area makes a lot of sense because things are very spread out.

From Arenal to Monteverde - about the same except for air travel and there is a jeep-boat-jeep to Monteverde that makes a lot of sense.

As for clothes -- it will be warm in Arenal and cool in Monteverde. If you are coming from DC, Monteverde won't feel that cool to you but it is often misty and foggy and cooler than many places so the usual advice is to pack lightweight, easy to dry clothes and a lightweight windbreaker. You could also pack a small plastic poncho that fold up into a pouch. Certainly no need for anything heavy. In fact, I usually recommend against blue jeans since they are heavy and take forever to dry. Long pants that zip off into shorts are very useful.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting From Here to There!!!!

Best way is different to different people. For me it is private driver or flying. Since you are going to stay the night in San Jose anyway I would look at flights on Nature Air and Sansa.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting From Here to There!!!!

If driving, yourtravelmap.com , mapcr.com , and GPS. (And if you happen to wear a women's size 8 1/2 shoe and would like to purchase at cost a new pair of closed-toe, quick-dry sandals that we're about to send back from D.C. as mis-sized, let me know)

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting From Here to There!!!!

Just my 2 cents... I and husband traveled earlier this month via private driver and interbus from La Fortuna to Tarcoles to MA then back to Alajuela- where the airport is.

Also while in La Fortuna just used taxi to visit downtown since our tours had transportation included and we stayed mostly in our resort otherwise.

A nice heavy duty poncho worked best for us.. more coverage and didn't fly away like most $1 ones do.

Edited: 23 February 2011, 15:27
Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,207 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting From Here to There!!!!

Hi Lainie,

For options of getting from A to B - there are lots - depending on things like your budget, time of arrival number in your party.

Please read this traveller's article since it pretty much lays out your options

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g291982-c109576/Costa-…

For Arenal area to Monteverde - one good option is the jeep/boat/jeep or taxi/boat/taxi.

Mixing and matching modes of travel can work well

raquel

Suffolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
159 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting From Here to There!!!!

I'd most definitely go for a private driver.. highly reccomend Carlos Bogarin's company, we've riden with Carlos himself and his driver Rolando, both are excellent drivers, not mention his company has very reasonable prices and very comfortable vehicles.

Contact Carlos at: encantados@ice.co.cr

OR

destinos.encantados@gmail.com

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting From Here to There!!!!

Shuttle companies are good affordable way to see our country...of course hiring a private driver...hopefullly with a recent model vehicle...good insurance...and of course good English...

roadadvisor

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
81 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting From Here to There!!!!

Lainie - RoadAdvisor (the person who posted before this) is a private driver who garners RAVE reviews from all. His knowledge of the country and helpfulness are practically legendary, so if I were hiring a driver, I would talk to him first!

9. Re: Getting From Here to There!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 17:17