We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 guys visiting CR for the first time

Charlotte, North...
11 posts
Save Topic
2 guys visiting CR for the first time

My old college housemate and I are going to CR for the first time for about a week. We're spending the first and last night in San Jose. My plan was to go to the Arenal Volcano, the Monteverde Cloud Forest and Manuel Antonio for beach and deep sea fishing. We're both single and in our early 40's. To all of you seasoned CR visitors, does that sound like a good game plan? Any suggestions on an alternate itinerary or hotels in those locations?

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 guys visiting CR for the first time

Great locations, but with only 5 nights you'll probably want to cut down to 1 or 2 locations. I'd skip Monteverde for this visit, due to the traveling time.

Charlotte, North...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 guys visiting CR for the first time

I appreciate the advise. Thank you.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 guys visiting CR for the first time

I have to agree with diver...3 locations in 5 days is a lot....you might need a vacation from your vacation! Arenal and Manuel Antonio is good.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 guys visiting CR for the first time

If you can get away from having to spend 2 nights in San Jose that will give you the extra time you need to be able to see the rest of the places. I'd just head straight to La Fortuna when you arrive and spend 3 nights there.

After that, head to Monteverde for 2 nights (in my opinion plenty of time there) and then to Manuel Antonio for 2 nights. You can go from Manuel Antonio to SJO early am if you need to...just take the shuttle or hire a driver if the shuttle won't be there early enough-no problem! :-)

Wendy, La Fortuna, CR

Charlotte, North...
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 guys visiting CR for the first time

Do I need to make the necessary reservations now or can it be done once I'm in CR? Any suggestions on where to stay when at Arenal and Manuel Antonio?

Edited: 25 February 2011, 17:14
La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 guys visiting CR for the first time

I think for such a short time in CR you should make your reservations ahead of time just so you don't waste time going from hotel to hotel-that's how I'd look at it. I think where you stay really depends on if you have a car of not. For example, if you don't have a car in La Fortuna, I'd suggest Hotel La Fortuna or Hotel San Bosco-both in the center of town and walking distance to everything. If you want a more resort feel those are all outside of the town square (usually with very little to walk to) and there are many of those to choose from.

Figure out how you're going to get around and then let us know-it will help all of us who give advice on TripAdvisor better guidelines for where you should stay. :-) Also if you know exactly what you're looking for (if pool is a must, etc) that helps us guide you too! :-)

Wendy, La Fortuna, CR

Charlotte, North...
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 guys visiting CR for the first time

Hi Wendy,

Thank you for your advice. We don't intend on renting a car. Picking accomodations with easy access to transportation as well as restaurants and bars would be great in both the Arenal Volcano and Manuel Antonio area.

8. Re: 2 guys visiting CR for the first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 February 2011, 15:35
La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 guys visiting CR for the first time

Since you're definitely not getting a car, here are my suggestions for hotels:

La Fortuna: Hotel San Bosco or Hotel La Fortuna

Manuel Antonio: La Posada Jungle or Verde Mar

:-) Wendy

La Fortuna, CR

Charlotte, North...
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 guys visiting CR for the first time

Thanks, Wendy. That's a tremendous help.

Royce