We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you need to bring with you?

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
What do you need to bring with you?

Hi,

My 30 yr old son will be going in 3 weeks. He doesn't have a computer so I need to ask questions on his behalf. He just wants to wing it while he's there, talking to the locals, absorbing the culture, relaxing and a little bit of adventure too. He wants to spend time at the beach and take a trip through the rainforest. He'll bring some natural mosquito repellant and sun block but aside from that, is there anything special he will need to protect himself from the elements and bugs that abound?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,974 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you need to bring with you?

flashlight.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you need to bring with you?

Definitely a flash light. Otherwise, sounds like he will be fine.

Bring lightweight clothes that dry easily -- I always recommend not bringing blue jeans. Just carryon is very possible and really the best. No heavy boots. Lightweight hiking boots or sneakers - and, of course, sandals or flip flops for the beach. If he should need boots, there are black rubber boots available everywhere here and cheap.

Do you know where he is planning on going? Does he speak Spanish? How long will he be in Costa Rica?

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you need to bring with you?

If he's interested in meeting local people he might consider bringing some school supplies and taking them to a local school. Pens, pencils, crayons, small paint sets are easy to pack and carry, and will be much appreciated.

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you need to bring with you?

Thank you for your reply. He will be there for 3 weeks (lucky guy!). Will be mostly on the west coast, I imagine, since he loves the ocean and beaches. He wants to see the wildlife of the jungle though, and the volcano too. He has learned a little basic spanish from an audio kit. He's good at making friends so I think he'll do okay.

Thanks again!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you need to bring with you?

Three weeks - excellent. Although I don't quite understand why he would stick to the west coast if he likes beaches. When you say "the volcano" I am assuming you mean Arenal since there are something like 100 volcanoes in Costa Rica! Here are some helpful websites you could show him:

www.nicoyapeninsula.com

www.puertoviejosatellite.com

www.tortuguerovillage.com

www.arenal.com

Riding the bus is a great way to become immersed in the culture.

www.thebusschedule.com

Costa Ricans are very friendly and helpful and I think he will have a great time.

Edited: 14 March 2011, 17:08
guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you need to bring with you?

allergy pills in the event of a rash from an insect bite (insects soemtimes don't know about bug spray)

a good cap to be protected from the sun

reusable water bottle

there is a program for 2 state owned schools in the North Guanacaste area where supplies are needed, one school is Curubande and the otherone is Nazareth http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=157706&id=43117330881#!/photo.php?fbid=318280040881&set=a.301577545881.157706.43117330881&theater

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you need to bring with you?

Thanks for all your suggestions and info.

My son has been in Costa Rica for a week now. It turned out he heard that there were great beaches on the east side that he wanted to visit as well and planned to go to as many places as he could by bus. We found him some very nice looking hostels to stay at too. I'm sure he's loving it all. Can't wait to hear all about it!

8. Re: What do you need to bring with you?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 21:19