We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from San Jose to Osa??

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
319 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Best route from San Jose to Osa??

Are there 2 routes from San Jose to Osa? What's recommended? One year we took the coastal route (through Jaco, MA, Dominical, on down), but is there another route that is more direct?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,341 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route from San Jose to Osa??

Is flying out of the question?

Liberia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route from San Jose to Osa??

Check out www.yourtravelmap.com

Dominical, Costa...
Level Contributor
508 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route from San Jose to Osa??

There is another route which is quite different and not significantly longer - from San Jose past Cartago over the Cerro Del Muerte to San Isidro and then either over to Dominical and down the coast or continuing down the spine of the country to Palmar Norte.

Are you planning on doing this as a round trip, and one day each way, or do you have time to stop and enjoy the trip? If I had the time, I'd go via one route and return via the other to see more of the country. If time is limited, flying is the best option. Its a very long trip to do in one day.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
319 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route from San Jose to Osa??

Thanks for the responses. Yes, flying is out of the question. We flew from Osa to San Jose on our way back from our hm and the flight was an absolute nightmare. Nature Air was awful and wouldn't let my husband fly his surfboards, even though we called ahead of time. It was an all around bad experience.

On the positive side, we love the scenery when we drive, so it's ok :)

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
319 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route from San Jose to Osa??

Oh, and we do have time so I love the idea of driving down one route and using the other to drive back. That was kind of what we were hoping to do. We've been alll over the pacific coast so I would live to drive down the alternate way and see that portion of the country. Any suggestions of what to see and a place to stop and stay for a night on that route?

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best route from San Jose to Osa??

San Gerardo de Dota, e.g. Savegre Mountain Lodge or Trogon Lodge. At least that's our plan, and was endorsed by respondents here in earlier threads. Try running a search for those terms. Note that San Gerardo de Rivas is nearby but different -- also looks attractive but it's on the far side of the Cerro de la Muerte so less likely to work for your schedule.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,269 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best route from San Jose to Osa??

Agree with TILTED...Dota is a great stop...

roadadvisor

San Isidro de El...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best route from San Jose to Osa??

Hello.

Yes, you have 2 roads:

1. The Costanera Road: From San José you have to drive to Jacó - Quepos, then continue for the same way and Dominical is at 45 km South of Quepos. All this road will be near the beach at your right side.

2. The Panamerican way: You can drive in route to San Isidro Pérez Zeledón, this is the mountain road, you will pass the highest mountains in Costa Rica, the weater is "cold", no, it´s fresh and full of wonderfull views, around 2 hours from San José you will be in the entrance of San Gerardo de Dota, if you want take a look at this great place, there is more info:

southerncostarica.biz/San-Gerardo-Dota/….

If you continue the road by the Interamerican HWY, then you have to climb over the mountains, and then go down from the mountains, around 3 hours from San José, you will reach the biggest city in the South, San Isidro. Once there you have to go strigh in the same HWY don´t take any other, and pass this city, you have to travel 2,5 hours and you will see at your right hang the Gas Station called "Chacarita", once there, head around the corner on your right and go straight in direction to "Puerto Jiménez", around 40 mins from Chacarita. Once you are in Puerto Jiménez, you are in the doors of Corcovado, and you can choose where to go into Corcovado, if taken the La Leona gate or Los Patos.

You could have more transpor info here:

southerncostarica.biz/Puerto-Jimenez/…

;)

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best route from San Jose to Osa??

"San Isidro. Once there you have to GO STRIGH [Straight] IN THE SAME HWY [highway] DON"T TAKE ANY OTHER,", and pass this city, you have to travel 2,5 hours and you will see at your right hang the Gas Station called "Chacarita","...

The words that I've capitalized are confusing. I think you mean that at San Isidro one leaves the Interamericano and heads down to Dominical, picks up the Costanera, and drives to Chacarita from there without leaving that road. At least that's what everyone else tells me.

I gather that one could also stay on the Interamericano to Paso Real and then head down to Palmar and pick up the route above, but that it would make little sense to do that.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,839 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best route from San Jose to Osa??

If you really have enough time and want to make a perfect loop then you might drive on PanAmericana over Cerro de la Muerte to Guadeloupe then onto Rd 237 via San Vito and Ciudad Neily and right on PanAmericana to Chacarita. Thus only the part between Chacarita and Puerto Jimenez will be repeated. Going back using the Costanera.