We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snakes and scorpians in costa rica

Innisfail, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
snakes and scorpians in costa rica

Are there many snakes and scorpians in Costa Rica? We are doing the land tour the first week and the all inclusive the second week at the Barcelo langosta.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,549 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snakes and scorpians in costa rica

Hi AlbertaKim. This is the Bali forum; you may get a better answer if you post on the Costa Rica forum:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g291982-i813-Cos…

Bali is about 17000km from Costa Rica.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
2. Re: snakes and scorpians in costa rica

Hi AlbertaKim,

I noticed that you had inadvertently posted your topic int he Bali forum, so I have moved it on your behalf to the Costa Rica forum. I hope you find the information you need to plan your upcoming travels.

Kind regards,

TA_Jane

TripAdvisor Support Team

Edited: 22 March 2011, 14:40
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snakes and scorpians in costa rica

There are many snakes and scorpions in Costa Rica. However, chances are you will not see them. Both scorpions and snakes like to hide so unless you walk through the forest disturbing the undergrowth or turning over rocks, you are unlikely to encounter them.

You are "doing the land tour" -- what does this mean? Where will you be going?

Innisfail, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snakes and scorpians in costa rica

Hi there! Thanks for the response. The first week we travel all over going to volcanoes, waterfalls, zip lining, white water rafting, horseback riding, and we stay at a couple of resorts. Then we make our way to Barcelo langosta for a week all inclusive!

We leave in a couple of weeks, and I can't wait to get out of this snowy Alberta!

Thanks again

kim

Innisfail, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snakes and scorpians in costa rica

Thanks! Didn't realize, my bad! tee hee

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snakes and scorpians in costa rica

If you really...really look for them...you may have a chance to see them...but most of the time you do not see them at all..

roadadvisor

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: snakes and scorpians in costa rica

i don't understand your question, are you afrad to be bitten by a snake of stung by a scropiion, or do you want to see snakes in guanacaste,

if it is the first, don;t worry, chances to have an accident with a snake or a scorpion are very low,

if it is the second there is one snake exhibit opening soon in rincon de la vieja area

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,944 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: snakes and scorpians in costa rica

yup, we got em' - but as has been pointed out you will rarely see them unless you are looking for them. Check shoes before you slip them on, Scorpions love shoes, they think they have found a nice little cave. No deadly scorpions that I know of here, like a bee sting. Snakes on the other hand, yes some are deadly. But they avoid people.

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: snakes and scorpians in costa rica

re: scorpions. Was just going to mention the same thing as Inca re: shoes. Also items like wet beach/bath towels, damp clothing etc. Keep such things off the floor and if they happen to fall on the floor, a quick shake will do. If you do encounter one inside, a quick broom sweep will send them on their way. Be careful, they are FAST travelers when they want to be!

Edited: 22 March 2011, 19:19
Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: snakes and scorpians in costa rica

Killed one in my house last week, so yes, check those shoes and shake clothes that have been on the floor.