We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfares from San Francisco to San Jose, Costa Rica in Sept?

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
122 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Airfares from San Francisco to San Jose, Costa Rica in Sept?

Hi,

I saw this weekend where airfares on TACA were at $600 including tax and fees from San Francisco to San Jose, CR. Now they are back over $700. I want to fly early morning (TACA has a 1:30 flight) from San Francisco to San Jose from Sept. 8 to the 13th.

Is the $600 a good fare? Will they come back down again? Should I just wait? It's quite a while yet until Sept. Am wondering opinions. Thanks for your helpl....

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,187 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfares from San Francisco to San Jose, Costa Rica in Sept?

The $600.00 includes all taxes...it is a good fare...once you see that huge part of that are USA taxes...

Hard to said if they will come back down again...since most airlines have just a few seats for each fare...maybe wait a couple months...but very hard to be sure that they will come down...sorry!

But back to your question $ 600.00 is not a bad fare...TACA is a good airline!

roadadivsor

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
122 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfares from San Francisco to San Jose, Costa Rica in Sept?

Thanks for the info!!

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfares from San Francisco to San Jose, Costa Rica in Sept?

Fuel prices are rising, I'd book it soon......

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfares from San Francisco to San Jose, Costa Rica in Sept?

Look very carefully at the connection times for TACA and Lacsa before you commit. When I was looking at flights from SFO to Costa Rica, they had a choice of 40 minute connections or 6 hours. I wound up doing SFO-Houston-San Jose on Continental with 2-3 hour connections. I paid $660 several months in advance for March, a friend paid $600 waiting until February for the same flights. You never know. Tuesday and Thursday were the lowest days.

Karen

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfares from San Francisco to San Jose, Costa Rica in Sept?

No worries about Taca connection times if it is in San Salvador (which is their hub). The airport in San Salvador is small and you will get off one flight and walk down the hall to the gate for your next flight.

I have done this several times and it is no problem. You DONT have to:

1. Line up for passport control (can be more than an hour in Houston)

2. Retrieve your bag and check it or

3. Go through security again.

From the time I landed to the time I got to the other gate, it was 12 minutes - and that included buying something to drink and a newspaper.

At the airport in San Salvador, there are many many shops that you can peruse while you are waiting.

As for flight prices -- you could check here -- http://matrix2.itasoftware.com

At this website, you will find a calendar of the lowest prices for every day of the month.

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
122 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfares from San Francisco to San Jose, Costa Rica in Sept?

thanks again for the tips.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Airfares from San Francisco to San Jose, Costa Rica in Sept?

Good to know about the San Salvador connection. There is still a problem with SFO, which is notorious for delayed flights. On my way back 2 weeks ago, my flight to SFO was delayed 2 hours because it was raining. Not even hard rain. When I finally arrived, there were people camped out on the floor everywhere, looking glazed.

Karen

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airfares from San Francisco to San Jose, Costa Rica in Sept?

"rk87" recently posted the following on Thorn Tree. Caveat emptor.

"Not sure where you are leaving from but we were planning a great trip to Costa Rica (After a LOT of research) and we had to cancel it... so now we have two flight tickets that can be used before September. The flights leave from San francisco if you're interested: sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tix/2219386728.html "

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airfares from San Francisco to San Jose, Costa Rica in Sept?

taca has a flight direct to liberia

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
122 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airfares from San Francisco to San Jose, Costa Rica in Sept?

Wow! Is this flight from SFO late often? I am looking at Sept so the weather won't be a problem.. No fog or rain in SFO in September ever...