We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions you're glad/wish you'd asked for Vacation Rental?

Ventura, California
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Questions you're glad/wish you'd asked for Vacation Rental?

I'm trying to compile a short list of questions for an article I plan on writing. If you have questions that you are glad you asked, or ones that you wished you would have asked from a vacation rental owner, what were they? What happened during your trip that make you thankful or regretful of your question. What was the end result?

Ventura, California
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions you're glad/wish you'd asked for Vacation Rental?

I just read through the posting rules and since this is a jounralistic topic there is some information I need to provide. My name is Andre W. I am not a journalist by trade, so i don't work for any publication (print or online). I do some free-lance writing on business topics and vacation rental topics that will be submitted to print and online publications. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions you're glad/wish you'd asked for Vacation Rental?

I am happy to help anyone on this board who is traveling to Costa Rica or is planning travel to Costa Rica, but sorry - this just isn't you, dreboogie.

14 posts, the same question asked about Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta and the Dominican Republic and Florida.

Is it impossible for you to just do a search on this forum - or those other forums - and read what people have said about vacation rentals?

Ventura, California
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions you're glad/wish you'd asked for Vacation Rental?

My questions aren't regarding only Costa Rica, it applies to Vacation Rentals in all locations. The same question was posted in several forums specific to geographic areas because many travelers or destination experts share the majority of there experiences in that particular forum. It is not impossible for me to do a search about vacation rentals. Unfortunately doing so did not provide me with enough material regarding what I was looking for.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to respond to my request in such a positive manner, you'd be surprised the responses one will get when asking for help or advise.

Thank you.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions you're glad/wish you'd asked for Vacation Rental?

You are WELCOME!

roadadvisor

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions you're glad/wish you'd asked for Vacation Rental?

As a vacation rental customer, I don't mind volunteering some time to help improve the workings of that market. Some questions I wish all rental owners provided in their listings, and suggest prospective renters ask:

1. What is the address/GPS coordinates, so I can find the exact location on Google Earth?

2. Does the owner live there part of the year?

3. How far exactly to ___ (the beach, or whatever the local main attraction is -- in an actual measurement, not a loose adjective like "steps to"

4. What kitchen equipment/staples/supplies can we count on finding there, what should we purchase on the way in if the nearest store will be distant?

5. If some home system stops working, who do we call?

6. How's the lighting for night-time reading?

PEI
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions you're glad/wish you'd asked for Vacation Rental?

I think this is a great topic as I am looking into vacation rental options for our June trip. I HAVE searched this topic here and on other forums and like dreboogie didn't come up with much.TFC those are great questions and some I hadn't thought of.

I would also like to know:

What kind of security there is and if there is a safe ?

If there is a pool - who looks after it (chemicals,cleaning)especially for a long term stay?

What is included in "linens provided" ? Beach/pool towels ? Dish towels ?

What kind of neighbours are there and how close ? For example is there a huge apartment building actually towering over what looks like a secluded backyard pool or is there a massive contsruction of some sort going on next door.

How recent are the pictures that are provided ?

Are all the appliances in good working order ?

Are the windows screened ?

Is the parking secure ?

I'm sure there are lots more I havent thought of too.

London ON
Level Contributor
268 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions you're glad/wish you'd asked for Vacation Rental?

I also like this question. I agree with the previous suggestions and based on experience I would suggest the following.

Do you need a car?

Are there taxis/buses avaliable?

Is there adequate water pressure?

Is there hot water?

If you feel a TV is necessary, are there 'english' channels available?

For extended stays - are there washer/dryers available?

Is there a caretaker and does the he/she speak 'english'?

Does the homeowner provide a list of emergency numbers and contacts?

If staying on a beach or near a beach:

provide latest pictures. We know the beach conditons may change on a daily/monthly/yearly basis.

How many metres to the beach and do you have to cross a road?

Pictures from the rental unit to the beach area if applicable.

Is there a gradual or quick drop once you are in the water?

What are the normal undertow, wave conditions?

Is the sea floor sand, rock, combination?

Do you need something on your feet when in the water?

When walking on the beach to the closest puerto, what can you expect and how long does an average walk take? How many km to closest puerto?

Edited: 09 April 2011, 13:52
guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions you're glad/wish you'd asked for Vacation Rental?

what are the day trips offered?

9. Re: Questions you're glad/wish you'd asked for Vacation Rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 17:17